Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burbot/Ling

Burbot/Ling

Ive never caught one this color before. I'm only mentioning it because I was recently told there is a difference between Ling and Burbot. I didn't think that was a true statement, but at one time, back in the day, we thought Bull Trout and Dollies were the same fish.
    So, my question, is there a difference between Ling and Burbot?
    Oh ya, also wanted to try posting a pic as well. This is as good as any for that🙂

https://imgur.com/gallery/QJc0l1u

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Burbot/Ling

How do you fish for burbot. Ive tried before in Lac le hache with no luck. Ive only seen a few dead ones floating on the surface. Id really like to catch some.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Looks normal to me...

I used to ice fish for them, sink a big treble, loaded with shrimp, squid, dew worms, pork liver etc... smellier the better... about a foot off the bottom.. sit and wait...

summer fishing.. don't know

I think ling is a salt water fish and burbot is freshwater, but could be wrong
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

We were fishing for Lakers. No secret as to how to catch a Burbot, they will very ocasionally take a lure, but generally you need bait. In this case, a white jig, with a bit of bacon. Cast from shore, and let it settle, then super slow retrieve along the bottom. That was the plan of attack for Lakers, and the Burbot also liked it.

Lake trout from same trip:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/zW7VqJ9

Thanks rock, the color is much lighter and greener than im used to. All others were dark brown, going on black. This is the first Burbot I've caught in a blue/green mountain lake though.

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Close to creek mouths works very well.....

Usually set lines on the bottom with bait. Sit and wait

Hahah burbot....let me tell you a story.....was working on the rigs and living in alberta at the time....myself and another guy wanted to do a little ice fishing ....so we dragged this tiny little shack that could barely fit both of usonto the lake....get all set up and get inside this thing and wait ...and wait ....and wait ....all of a sudden my buddy starts freaking and pulling up on his rod (fairly inexperienced fisherman)....i tell him to ease up its not a tuna and to enjoy the fight ....so he is reeling laughing and chuckling with joy...our heads almost bonking each other as we are trying to look down the tiny hole in the ice ...well sure enough a big fat burbot comes up outta the hole and lands on our boots.....now i knew what it was and excited that he got one....he was expecting a nice trout or walleye..just as the fish lets out a pretry loud burp he yells in panic "what in the f#$k is that!!"...i said burbot ....well he already had scissors in hand getting ready to fight it due to close quarters...i cant stop laughing and just as i grab the needle nose all i hear is "nope not today muther trucker" then a snip of the line ....just as im look over i see it slip back into the hole ....i look across the shack at my buddy in all 6'3 260 pound oil rigger and see the look of relief in his face ...he says "god damn that was a close one"....i dont thi know if i have ever laughed so hard in my life....there my one and only burbot story lol
    Last edited by scotty30-06; 06-08-2018 at 01:38 PM.

google eelpout. caught lots of burbot/ling but all were solid brown colour with lighter bellies. Ling are also a saltwater cod.

If we’re talking freshwater, then ling and burbot are one and the same. Burbot is the actual common name (Lota lota), ling is just a synonym. Think of larch and tamarack.
    You’re lucky to be able to catch them, populations in some parts of BC (SE in particular) are extremely depressed.

If we’re talking freshwater, then ling and burbot are one and the same. Burbot is the actual common name (Lota lota), ling is just a synonym. Think of larch and tamarack.
    You’re lucky to be able to catch them, populations in some parts of BC (SE in particular) are extremely depressed.