Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ootsa

Ootsa

I have never fished there before, any tips? I have heard of the big rainbows, are there char kookanee or burbot? Any lures reccomended?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ootsa

big rainbows. Maybe some kokanee. Burbot. No char

downriggers and Apex, troll 4-5km/hr
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

These waters can yield spectacular results for large Rainbow and giant Lake Char at Ootsa Lake.
    from bcadventure.com
    And the char taste good too. Never fished it but ate fish from it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    big rainbows. Maybe some kokanee. Burbot. No char

downriggers and Apex, troll 4-5km/hr
    Ummm lots of char in the lake. Burbot yes but have never heard of kokanee there.

Fish deep and stay away from the shore or you will loose your gear in the tree's. Also there is only a couple public access points to the lake so getting on the water is tricky but once your on there won't be many other boats

Hmmmm, I've fished there also, have never caught or seen any one catch a char? There are some kokanee that the big rainbow feed on!

I think lots get Ootsa and Uncha mixed up. I was asking about the May long derby that goes every year and still unsure myself what lake it is on and what fish are in each one.

A search online provided that Ootsa has large Rainbow and Kokanee. Derby on labour day weekend in Sept. Uncha has large lake Trout and derby May long I believe. Couldn't find info online about derby.

I didn't think there is char in the reservoir. Never caught one yet. In Murray/Cheslatta there is
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Ootsa is rainbows no lakers locals swear by apex’s for everything so that is what’s always recommended lol

FST spoons, flatfish, Kamloopers, dodger/bucktail combo, and a ton of other predatory rainbow tactics work. Personally prefer to target lakers over rainbows so only passing on how friends fish it

Myself I would rather fish the other lakes in the area and there is tons of options

Better have a good boat that lake blows up BAD

Enjoy the giant squwa fish too lol