Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Back Road Scanners

Re: Back Road Scanners

driver mentality has changed over the years and most are racing with them self fuel and brake and in there own small brain they have the absolute right of way . I have drove lowbed and hauled logs all over BC . I find out there it is bad and good something like dumb and dumber these days.

Are there any other reviews of the Chinese Baofeng handhelds?

I'd much rather do that than have to piss around mounting a radio I have to take out at home, install an antenna etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    So in my above post I mentioned we used one two years ago, we rented it ! It was a bit cumbersome in a compact pickup with two fellas and the radio taking up room. Plus the antenna wire wrapped around things.

So I have a question. Are the handled units not as powerful ? What would be a fairly powerful handheld model then ? A link would be awesome
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Just want to put this up again for you fellas that have the handheld units and knowledge of them
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Most resource roads are "radio assist" and use of mobile radios for communicating location and direction is not mandatory. Always drive safely according to road and weather conditions and if using a mobile radio, do not solely rely on mobile radio communications recognizing that not everyone has or is using a mobile radio.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications

I can't find a list of roads where a radio is a requirement....
    My only point here, one is permitted on a majority of resource roads in BC without a radio. I would expect roads to be posted where a radio is a requirement. I would also expect that requirement to change based on time of year (winter travel)

That said, there are plenty of benefits to knowing where and when heavy truck traffic will turn up....

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Just want to put this up again for you fellas that have the handheld units and knowledge of them
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Hand held radios are typically 5 watts with a 6" antenna

Hand held to hand held would provide a range of 1-1.5km based on terrain.

Mobile radios are 30-50 watts. Hand held to mobile provide much greater range ~20Km. Keep in mind, if you are sitting in a cab on a hand held, surrounded by metal, mountains in the way, the range may be far less, but sufficient to not have a logging truck surprise you.

Mobile to mobile would have even better range ~36km

The biggest limiting factor in all radio communication is the antenna setup. Having a hole drilled in the center of the roof of the cab provides the best antenna arrangement in a vehicle. Most people, including me, compromise and stick it on the fender. That does come with a send and receive penalty when it comes to range.
    Last edited by westcoaster; 06-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.

You can have them not hard wired in. Magnetic antenna and power plugs into cigarette lighter. Easy install easy removed.

Get a pair of beofeng UV-5R off amazon for under $100, download the Chirp program onto your computer and program the radio yourself. Took me like 25mins to input all the RR, LD and LADD channels. Anything else you see out in the backcountry can be programmed on the fly.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Hand held radios are typically 5 watts with a 6" antenna

Hand held to hand held would provide a range of 1-1.5km based on terrain.

Mobile radios are 30-50 watts. Hand held to mobile provide much greater range ~20Km. Keep in mind, if you are sitting in a cab on a hand held, surrounded by metal, mountains in the way, the range may be far less, but sufficient to not have a logging truck surprise you.

Mobile to mobile would have even better range ~36km

The biggest limiting factor in all radio communication is the antenna setup. Having a hole drilled in the center of the roof of the cab provides the best antenna arrangement in a vehicle. Most people, including me, compromise and stick it on the fender. That does come with a send and receive penalty when it comes to range.
    I would assume all logging trucks would have mobile units installed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    I would assume all logging trucks would have mobile units installed ?
    That's probably a good assumption....

However, with the increasing popularity of the cheap chinese hand helds, it's anyone's guess....

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    There are loggers in Chilliwack. I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction
    We used Motorola mobile 2-ways in all our logging equipment. Long lasting and tough. Somewhat expensive.
    Call your km's - checkpoints, mt/loaded - up/down, stay off the travel channels with your chit-chat, and remember that industrial vehicles have the right of way mt or loaded.
    Safe travels ..... you'll get home ok, as will that fella out there trying to work among the 'tourists' .....