Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Road Scanners

Re: Back Road Scanners

VHF radio off amazon ... $50 for Chinese Baofeng handhelds. Have used a set since 2010. No problems.

No need to spend big bucks on overpriced brand name stuff .... the Chinese do a very good job of copying those things now days.

Same with LED bars. I'd never pay $500 for a Rigid light bar when I can get a Chinese equivalent on Ebay for $80.

Some things you want quality and dependability... like a generator or a winch. But for lights and radios the Chinese stuff works just fine.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 06-06-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Some good information here from members ! Two years ago we used a two way radio while travelling an active logging road , the haul road was Named and had the Channel marked on the sign as you headed in . For some reason we had a problem finding the channel. So we stopped a logging truck and asked him for help to get the right channel . He tuned the radio in and said " We really appreciate you hunters using the radios !
    Arctic Lake

As mentioned all forestry roads now use standardized RR channels. A few companies may still use their own private channels on the actual landing/loading site/cut block, but trucks hauling in or out MUST use the RR channels as per CVSE and work safe standards. I've used the cheap baofeng for years and get great distance out of them for a handheld and you can punch in all your own frequencies so just google the RR frequencies the ministry has specified and program them into your radio. I don't necessarily call all the time but definitely listen and will call where there are signs saying "must call" or if the road is really busy.

Appreciate all the advice. I live in Chilliwack and haven't found anyone that sells or knows anything about them. Tried "The Source" Best Buy and Cascade Supply that caters to a lot of loggers. I'll keep looking, must be someone around local. What is the practical difference between Vhf and Uhf radio's

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    Appreciate all the advice. I live in Chilliwack and haven't found anyone that sells or knows anything about them. Tried "The Source" Best Buy and Cascade Supply that caters to a lot of loggers. I'll keep looking, must be someone around local. What is the practical difference between Vhf and Uhf radio's
    You actually have to go to a telecom radio supplier, we have a couple in vernon and I believe they ship. You can also pay them to program the 2 way for you. Then once you get to the fsr you just find the channel. A lot of log trucks have two radios one for calling km and communication between landing and other trucks and then one for bullsh$&#ing with others without overtaking the fsr channel so called kms aren’t being missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    Just order from amazon. Free shipping and you dont even have to leave the house let alone spend gas money driving around to every store asking if they have them.

You can order them from Canada Ammo. They also sell a lot of the handy accessories for them as well. I've been very happy with my purchase.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...two-way-radio/

well said! and X2 on the Baofeng Radios.
    Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    As mentioned all forestry roads now use standardized RR channels. A few companies may still use their own private channels on the actual landing/loading site/cut block, but trucks hauling in or out MUST use the RR channels as per CVSE and work safe standards. I've used the cheap baofeng for years and get great distance out of them for a handheld and you can punch in all your own frequencies so just google the RR frequencies the ministry has specified and program them into your radio. I don't necessarily call all the time but definitely listen and will call where there are signs saying "must call" or if the road is really busy.
    A man does not choose the momment, the momment chooses the man!

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf11127.html

Frequency for the RR and LD channels
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    VHF radio off amazon ... $50 for Chinese Baofeng handhelds. Have used a set since 2010. No problems.

No need to spend big bucks on overpriced brand name stuff .... the Chinese do a very good job of copying those things now days.

Same with LED bars. I'd never pay $500 for a Rigid light bar when I can get a Chinese equivalent on Ebay for $80.

Some things you want quality and dependability... like a generator or a winch. But for lights and radios the Chinese stuff works just fine.
    After seeing your radios i bought four of them. They work great, hit local repeaters if you need them also. I got the 8 watt with the better antennas.
    Hunting the promised land