Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Road Scanners

Re: Back Road Scanners

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    Appreciate all the advice. I live in Chilliwack and haven't found anyone that sells or knows anything about them. Tried "The Source" Best Buy and Cascade Supply that caters to a lot of loggers. I'll keep looking, must be someone around local. What is the practical difference between Vhf and Uhf radio's
    There are loggers in chilliwack. I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by dakoda62 View Post
    https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf11127.html

Frequency for the RR and LD channels
    Get those cheap baofeng radios and program the above link. works like a charm. Sure they have limited range but trucks are suppose to call every odd/even km. You'll have plenty of notice that they are coming.

The RR channel should be posted at the beginning of the logging road.

So in my above post I mentioned we used one two years ago, we rented it ! It was a bit cumbersome in a compact pickup with two fellas and the radio taking up room. Plus the antenna wire wrapped around things.

So I have a question. Are the handled units not as powerful ? What would be a fairly powerful handheld model then ? A link would be awesome
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 06-07-2018 at 11:03 AM.

these men are working we must respect that...
    that said i have never run a radio but get out of the way tell they pin me.but if they are super busy i get off there road.

if you pointed a gun at me of my coworker we would pdobably check whos premiums are lowest and you would get hit by a truck....just saying.

Point out that I have never had the slightest problem with logging trucks, they are careful and courteous, but when someone is trying to run you down, I do mean trying to run you down. A rig move, first truck we got out of the way, very soon there was a second one who came at us . Then quickly the third, who was definitely trying to run us down. We got out of there when we could. You have a better idea than self defense? Of course we didn't point a rifle, we should have, though.. I applaud you pacifists, I'm sure the angels will too when you talk to St .Peter..... Yeah ,get a radio, certainly if you're around oil patch 'bertans. FKG 'bertans.

It was interesting being still in BC on the eastern slope of the Rockies.BTW
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 06-06-2018 at 10:30 PM.

So all oil patch workers are "FKG Bertans"?

Would like to know what the definition of "definitely trying" to run you down is. Couldn't have been on a corner where the driver needed to stay wide or need to set up for the corner coming.

But it's probably the Bertans fault you were traveling the wrong direction with out a radio. Oh and not only at the start of the resource road where it says all traffic must call in said frequency there would have been another sign that said rig move in progress use caution. But hey was probably their fault as they didn't know YOU were on the road. I guess it's better to endanger people's lives so you have a point to prove

Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    You actually have to go to a telecom radio supplier, we have a couple in vernon and I believe they ship. You can also pay them to program the 2 way for you. Then once you get to the fsr you just find the channel. A lot of log trucks have two radios one for calling km and communication between landing and other trucks and then one for bullsh$&#ing with others without overtaking the fsr channel so called kms aren’t being missed.
    CVSE and work safe are having fits about the 2 radio thing now... will fine people for it now... apparently too many guys were accidentally calling on the wrong radio so traffic couldn't hear them... have family in the logging/hauling industry and they have all said the same...

If I am travelling on a busy logging road I just follow a rig up the road. Stop when they do, go when they do. I have respect for those trying to make a living on those roads. Their lives are at risk all the time. Recently I came upon a rig coming down, I was going up. There was no room for both, so I backed down the hill to get out of his way. At the bottom he stopped and apologised for having to make me back up down the hill.
    I said hey your just trying to make a living. Don't apologize, just be safe and go home to your family. Nothing I am doing is so important that I cant accommodate a guy driving on those roads.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

On standard sized logging road when three out of three come at, instead of moving even a touch over, that for you math whizzes is 100% . If three out three were FKG 'Bertans . Betting odds would put them all.

This was on a BC forestry road, not an oil patch road. Years back when we went over the radio controlled right of way debate, someone pointed out by posting the section of the Forestry Act, we are under the Forestry Act not the Vehicle Act, that there is no reference to it, rather highway rules.

Thirty years ago we lived in mobile home park in Chetwynd , there were a few logging truck drivers there as well. There would be a $75,000 truck (30 years ago) parked beside a $10,000 mobile home. New homes were $25,000 then. 18 hour days and just scratching to make a living.