Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Back Road Scanners

Re: Back Road Scanners

The Motorola radios are typically sold to industry and programmed for licensed frequencies, really expensive compared to a vhf radio that you program yourself. There is some issue of legality with radios opened up for licensed industrial frequencies, or there always was.

My understanding is commercial vehicles "must call" on resource roads, but have a responsibility for public safety. They should be given the right of way but do not have it unless marked by road signs.They would be liable if their speed pushed you off the road, if you could prove it.

It is just common sense to try to be cautious and call in your kms , I do when I can.

Non commercial vehicles do not have a requireent to call in, as much as it makes sense.
    Last edited by Muledeercrazy2; 06-07-2018 at 09:37 PM.

What brands of vhf radio are reliable and good ?
    I've only had industrial Motorola.
    Looking for a mobile 2-way for my pick-up.

I picked up an 8 channel Kenwood handheld years ago & maintain a license, about
    $45 a year. Can only be programmed by shop or if you have cable & software for PC. That gets old quick so I now also have 2 Bafengs. Quality not same as Kwood but having 100+ channels is nice.

The Baofengs can also be programmed with the unlicensed family channels but should be on lower power setting than for vhf.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    We used Motorola mobile 2-ways in all our logging equipment. Long lasting and tough. Somewhat expensive.
    Call your km's - checkpoints, mt/loaded - up/down, stay off the travel channels with your chit-chat, and remember that industrial vehicles have the right of way mt or loaded.
    Safe travels ..... you'll get home ok, as will that fella out there trying to work among the 'tourists' .....
    Have 3 Kenwood's. Not brand loyalty but when I bought my first one it was a good deal and just seemed logical to stay the course when I needed to add more radio's.

Baofeng seem to be popular.
    Chinese made, but, cheap, and give you the channels you are looking for.
    Some have high watts (legalities behind that as well from what I understand)
    So, use at your own risk, but they do work.

If you do end up getting a baofeng, UPGRADE the antenna. It will boost its range greatly.

I use:
    Baofeng gt-5tp - 8watts
    Baofeng uv-5r - 5 watts <--- you can get this in 8watts now I believe
    Last edited by gmachine19; 06-08-2018 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    Appreciate all the advice. I live in Chilliwack and haven't found anyone that sells or knows anything about them. Tried "The Source" Best Buy and Cascade Supply that caters to a lot of loggers. I'll keep looking, must be someone around local. What is the practical difference between Vhf and Uhf radio's
    I bought mine from here: https://www.fleetwooddp.com/
    super nice guy to deal with
    D

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    What brands of vhf radio are reliable and good ?
    I've only had industrial Motorola.
    Looking for a mobile 2-way for my pick-up.
    I've recently installed a Tad Radio in my bush truck. I saw them online for $450 used.

As others have said, if you are on a busy road and don't have a radio, wait at a wide spot and follow someone in.

I have tad m10s in my truck and jeep with all the RR channels and most every thing use in BC, they have three banks of 99 channels.82.00 dollars a year for licence for both radios. I also have three baofengs uv5ra+ radios with the RR channels and a bunch of others. use the hand held on the 4 wheeler and on foot etc . I put better antennas on them and that help. Larry
    Last edited by pgpapa; 04-17-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: m10s not m8s