Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Road Scanners

Back Road Scanners

I'm looking for some way of listening in on logging truck travel on the back roads.I know pretty much nothing about these radios. I hear there are uhf, vhf and scanners. What would be the easiest way to listen in on the truck drivers ? Also what kind of range would one expect in the mountains?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Back Road Scanners

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab View Post
    I'm looking for some way of listening in on logging truck travel on the back roads.I know pretty much nothing about these radios. I hear there are uhf, vhf and scanners. What would be the easiest way to listen in on the truck drivers ? Also what kind of range would one expect in the mountains?
    Why not get a two way. Much safer for everyone.

2 way radio's i think work better, programmable to RR channels. Plus gives you the ability to call location on Fsr roads.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in 50 years,, but I ventured into Wapiti country south of Tumbler Ridge, still in BC on a forestry road and dam near got run off the road by those rig movers. Everyone of them. Damm those FK 'bertans . The only way to drive was to have your partner hang out the window with the rifle pointed at the cab.

^^^^Did you have a radio? All traffic travelling down (out) has right-of-way and you must clear if heading up the road. If not you were the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    I've never had a problem with logging truck drivers in 50 years,, but I ventured into Wapiti country south of Tumbler Ridge, still in BC on a forestry road and dam near got run off the road by those rig movers. Everyone of them. Damm those FK 'bertans . The only way to drive was to have your partner hang out the window with the rifle pointed at the cab.
    That's the dumbest comment I have read in this site.

The moment you choose to use a resource or any other radio control road and you choose not to use a radio you are taking a massive risk on your part and endangering your life and the life of anyone else that might be using that road.

On a side note anyone who points a gun at another person to incite intimidation is a fool. Point a gun at me and you better be prepared to pull the trigger because at that point you are making threats.

Problem is different companies use different channels. So a scanner that could monitor all channels would be better.
    A loaded tractor/trailer unit has right of way in my books. The next one along will pull you out of the ditch.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

^^^this is not correct. The Resource Road (RR) channels in BC were standardized a few years ago. Get a 2-way radio and have the standard RR channels installed by any communications shop and know the correct call procedures for the roads you are using. Your safety and others lives depends on it. Do not be part of the problem. If you are using the resource roads you have a responsibility to call your miles as well.

Go get your self a vhf radio with the bc road channels programmed. When your on a FSR road there will be a sign at the start with the RR channel. So no need to scan.
    Last edited by Bunner; 06-06-2018 at 09:49 AM.

And make sure you call your kms. Nothing worse then comming up on a rig on a blind corner hauling as*4
    Even up and odd down. Call you km when leaving the road
    Last edited by Bunner; 06-06-2018 at 09:47 AM.