Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a cooler

Re: Looking for a cooler

So I picked up the 80L Polar Cap Equalizer that I ordered from Cabela's a few weeks ago when it was on sale (damn thing almost never goes on sale).

This thing is, to put it bluntly, ****ing massive. It takes up basically the whole trunk of my Outback. And having the handles as part of the unit as opposed to roped, etc, just makes it even wider. So I don't love that.

But I was going to ask - from a size perspective, realistically, what is ideal? I have a 120Q Coleman Extreme and I'm not particularly impressed with it...not disappointed, but definitely not impressed. From some reading on Rokslide, it looks like the 80 should be more than enough for a deer or maybe even a bear. I'll never be able to take more than one of them with me, given their size, so I might as well pick now between the Coleman and the Polar Cap Equalizer because they're about the same footprint (massive).

So i picked up the Cabela's 60 Polar Cap Equalizer Cooler, I put 1 frozen milk jug in the cooler Friday evening and then took that out Saturday afternoon and replaced it with 1 block of ice, nothing else in the cooler, i had a look this afternoon (Thursday) and there was still about a fifth of ice left, i know that with my Coleman xtreme the ice would have been gone after only 3 days.
    I feel more like i do now than i did before i got here

Pelican awesome. Can get good deals if ya look around. The older model which i have is built well and love the latches. Pre chill and throw in a big towel to fill any air spaces once ya load it up

I was just across the border earlier this week. I stopped at Walmart. For less than 100 bucks those rotomolded coolers are nice! If I hadn't bought an RTIC I would be all over a couple of those.

The RTIC is friggin heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Cowgirl View Post
    My hubby built 3 "cooler jackets", similar to the one pictured, for all 3 of our coolers. Extended ice life 100-150%. Total cost for plywood foam and hardware for all 3 of our coolers, under $100. We have saved well over that in the 5 yrs we have had them. We used rubber hood latches for commercial trucks and old garden host seal to ensure a tight seal on the lid.
    I'm taking this one step further and making my own. I believe in buying good optics etc. but I'm not paying stupid amounts of money for plastic and styrofoam.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    I was just across the border earlier this week. I stopped at Walmart. For less than 100 bucks those rotomolded coolers are nice! If I hadn't bought an RTIC I would be all over a couple of those.

The RTIC is friggin heavy!

How were the Lifetime ones at Walmart? Heavy, durable look and feel? Love some insight if you've had some hands on...…….
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education