Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Re: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Tikka T3X 7mm-08. Kids shoot Hornady 120gr Custom Lite, dad shoots Barnes VorTx 120gr TTSX. Topped with a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x. Rather than buying two rifles/scope setups, get the one, invest $$ into ammo and range trips.

Vortex Viper 8x42 binos
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I was thinking of getting my daughter a (13 years old)Savage Mark II FXP Bolt-Action Rifle w/ Scope

and my son (8 years old)
    Savage Rascal.
    I feel they will mainly be doing target practice will I do the harvesting. As they get comfortable with slimming and transporting and gain safety skills, then I can get them into a bigger caliberr.
    What do you experienced guy/gals think?
    Thx Roger

Hello
    are you saying me and kids. Hornady and Barnes is the ammo?
    with leupold scope and vortex Vinod?
    i agree with you, I'd rather buy the best now than latershould only buy 1 rifle which is the tikka?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerm View Post
    I was thinking of getting my daughter a (13 years old)Savage Mark II FXP Bolt-Action Rifle w/ Scope

and my son (8 years old)
    Savage Rascal.
    I feel they will mainly be doing target practice will I do the harvesting. As they get comfortable with slimming and transporting and gain safety skills, then I can get them into a bigger caliberr.
    What do you experienced guy/gals think?
    Thx Roger
    Got my son rascal savage when he’s 8 now 12 and still loves to shoot it, both girls started around 8-9 with the .243 target practicing and they loved it, my eldest scoped herself with it but it was her own fault as she didn’t listen to me, she shoots it very well now. You can’t go wrong with those guns for your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    Got my son rascal savage when he’s 8 now 12 and still loves to shoot it, both girls started around 8-9 with the .243 target practicing and they loved it, my eldest scoped herself with it but it was her own fault as she didn’t listen to me, she shoots it very well now. You can’t go wrong with those guns for your kids.

Which .243 rifle. I was thinking of 22 caliber ammo for the kids so they can't target shoot all day long

Viper HD's probably best value out there for a midrange bino. Especially in a 8x42, the image is premium
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Viper HD's probably best value out there for a midrange bino. Especially in a 8x42, the image is premium
    I know, I have a pair that I leave in the truck glovebox lol

But to say that Vortex produces some of the top glass on the market is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerm View Post
    Which .243 rifle. I was thinking of 22 caliber ammo for the kids so they can't target shoot all day long
    .243 savage i only paid aprox $400 with scope and then my daughter won our second one at a ducks unlimited dinner, I put a bipod on it for her. They love target practicing with it and the most fun is with milk jugs full of water that is coloured with food colour. The .22 is nice as cheap amo for target practice, but ammo for .243 isn’t super expensive. Like I said we have both.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Buy a Browning X-bolt in 30/06 for yourself and a Browning X-bolt Micro Midas in 7mm-08 for the kids.
    The fit and finish and also the Inflex recoil pad on the Browning is much nicer than McTikka.

Mount Leupold VX3 scopes on both rifles, don't piss around with Vortex junk.
    Do this and you'll have great reliable rifles and scopes for as long as you want to keep them.
    watch out for miss leading advice like this!

tikka t3x 7mm-08 like said above. Then If you want some more thump once you get good at shooting get yourself a 30-06 in the same rifle. Stay clear from x bolts. And the term MCTIKKA would be a McMillan stock on a Tikka.. in that case instead of being 3 steps ahead of the x bolt your now 10.

Vx3i scopes are excellent, best bang for buck. .

Enjoy the bc wilderness it’s a great place.

Welcome!

There will be lots of advice on here, much of it Ford vs. Chevy. In truth, there are no wrong answers. I love my Tikka rifles but my friends with Browning, Savage or Marlin rifles all seem to have as much fun and success as I do.

It is fun to research purchases and mull various combinations but the real joy is in getting out there with your kids, plinking and scouting. Spend lots of time in the woods and as much time at the range as you can. Learn to shoot a .22 before you start banging away with a bigger gun. You'll be glad you did.

If you read a few threads on the forum you'll soon learn who to listen to. I highly recommend calling Nechako Outdoors in Vanderhoof. They are a site sponsor and Mark is definitely one of the guys to listen to.

With all that said, my advice is to buy a nice bolt action .22 that you will own forever. Then buy a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 and buy the best glass you can afford. I like Vortex but if money is no object I'd be looking at Zeiss or Swarovski.

Keep in mind, gun collections tend to grow over time. You can kill anything with a 7mm-08 but you might just find that you want a different caliber for everything you hunt. I have a couple safes worth in my collection now but my original Tikka T3 7mm Rem Mag is still the only rifle I really need. Just don't tell my wife that.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?