Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Re: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

You sure seem anxious to spend a lot of $$$ on something you are new to...

My personal recommendation would be one of the bottom end scope/rifle combos like Savage Axis or Remington 783. Italian just had the Remington on sale this weekend, cabelas often puts the packages on, etc. etc.

I would get in in .270 - the lightest recoiling and cheapest shooting of the "do everything" calibres.

This will give you time to figure out:
    1) Are you going to continue hunting
    2) Do you prefer wood or composite stocks
    3) What eye relief do you need to get a proper sight picture (I'm at the point where as much as I prefer the quality of other glass, I need to buy Leupold because of the long eye relief)
    4) Do you need stainless, or will you oil and take care of your gun enough that blued is fine
    5) Do you prefer detachable mag or hinged floor plate
    6) Can you handle more recoil or not?

The list is endless.

Spend the money you save on ammo, a range membership, a .22 (an accurate one), and either a rangefinder or decent mid-level binoculars (depending on if you will be shooting animals far away or not).

If you keep at hunting you will outgrow the gun in 1-3 years, but you can always sell it or hand it down to your kid(s).

Me.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    G4 BDC is a joke of a reticle. You'll see that scope gone from Vortex's lineup for 2019, it hasn't been a strong seller for them. The bluish/black reticle disappears in low light against a dark background (moose or bear hair, spruce, shadows) making bullet placement very difficult. The Leupold Vx3i is a much better scope than the Razor LH, I've owned a couple of them (Razor LH) and wouldn't recommend them to anybody. The dealer likely picked the scope up on a clearout from Vortex and trying to turn a profitable sale. I don't blame them, but I think that scope is not the best choice for your needs

The Sako is a good rifle, but for beginner hunters, probably unneeded. You'd be better off to invest $2299 into a Tikka t3X Stainless and $1100 in ammunition to practice with

Thx Tod. I had the feeling that the recommendation for the vortex was biased since they had only 3 types of lupolds but yet a full selection of vortex

Glad to hear someone bringing his family to learn the conservation.
    Rifle wise, I own like 60 guns, but only used a few for hunting purpose.
    The most used one is my Savage Axis II in .308 w/ a Nikon 3-9x40, it is cheap so you wouldn't so worry about scratching it in the wood. AND it is super LIGHT! Walking with a 8 lb rifle + scope for 10km can kill you....
    Accuracy wise, I can shot a soda can at 200m off hand 10/10 times, and it is definitely sub MOA gun at 100m.
    I also own a few Remington 700s, and 783s in multiple calibers (30-06, 300WM, .308, 6.5CM, .223, .22-250) also a Tikka T3x lite in 7mm mag.
    Any of those magnum calibers will do too much damage to the meat, and a 30-06/.308 will get the job done perfectly.
    I will suggest you to get a .308, it is a very good round and no inferior than a 308 in all aspects.
    If you can financially afford a Tikka, go for it, but remember you will still have to spend a good extra 400+ dollars on the scope and rings + rails. T3x lite is a very good rifle, the only thing I am not very pleased with it is the hockey pod butt plate, that thing is super hard, and with a 7mm mag, oh man...
    If you wanna get a cheaper one, go Savage, accurate, reliable and just a overall very adequate hunting gun (mine got like 15 deer and a bear).
    As far as for your little ones, I will recommend up to a 308, anything further then that can be challenge to them, recoil wise, you don't want to scare them before they start to get interested with firearms. A .243 is a perfect cartridge for youth, and you can get a youth or compact size rifle for them.
    One more thing, many believe that they can just get one gun and his golden, I will say that yes, a 308 or 3006 can kill any game in NA, hell even a .223 can! But if one day you want to get a trophy grade moose or elk, you may want to consider getting a 300wm or even a 338wm, just my 0.02, just a little extra precautions.

Scope wise, Nikon is your friend, I have multiple Vortex for my long range target rifles, but for hunting purpose, Nikon is really good in low light, and affordable, a 3-9 or 4-12/16 x 40 will get the job done and you can still keep the weigh down. (I recommend up to 12, cuz majority of animal encounter for me is within 200m, and anything further than that, I don't want to shoot (remember even though you can humanely kill the animal, it can be very challenge to get to it if it is far away. It is your OBLIGATION to track the animal down)

Binos, I got a Nikon 10x42, good, bought from Cabelas when it was on sale for 199 or so.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to know more details on my set ups, I will probably go to region 6 this late Aug, to get a black bear to fill my freezer.

I was in your shoes not long ago my friend. I got lots of advice of what brand and caliber of rifle to purchase. I couldn't afford a tikka ot vortex rifle at this time so I bought a used Ruger American .308 I have shot it a handful of times and I am very pleased with how it shoots. The rifle came with a Cabelas scope. It's not the top of the line but I feel IMOP the rifle and scope will do the job.
    Make sure you have a good pair of hunting boots and clothing. If you aren't comfortable it will be a long day! Unfortunatley I learned the hard way..lol cheap boots equals cold feet!
    I bought a set of Bushnell binos and I didn't have any problems fogging of the lenses.
    Hope you find the right rifle for yourself and kids. Happy hunting!