Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Re: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Tikka t3x SS lite would be the most popular

Tikka,Browning yup. But you should definitely check out the Weatherby Vanguard line. They have many models to choose from and the Camilla is designed for women by women. As far as caliber goes for yourself, you can't go wrong with a 30-06. The most capable an versatile caliber there is. And that's a quote I've read many times by some of the most prominent hunting and shooting personalities in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Tikka t3x SS lite would be the most popular
    thx. And that would be with a lupiod vx3i 3.5-10x40mm?

That’s what my Tikka wears.
    Love it

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    That’s what my Tikka wears.
    Love it
    I emailed tikka and they said that tikka model/make will serve me well for life

Can’t go wrong with a Tikka T3 stainless.
    The only downside if can find with mine is that’s kinda boring...
    30-06 is a good caliber but in a light rifle like that the recoil is noticeable off the bench. I agree with the others that recommended 7mm-08. Then get the best 3x-9x scope you can afford.

But first-
    I’d buy a good bolt action 22lr. Then spend some time handling other rifles before you decide on your big game rifle. It’s a really personal decision and not one I would rush into.

Hey Guys. I was at the local gun store and they introduced me to the Sako 85 Finnlight Bolt Action $2299.00 and most importantly stated Leupold doesn't have a forever guarantee anymore, it's limited and reccomends to get the Vortex Razor Hd Lh 1" 3-15x42-mm G4 BDC $1299.99. Thoughts and ideas from the Forum? Thx Roger

If I was going to spend that kind of money it wouldn't be on an sako. I'd be looking at the Weatherby MRK5's or Fierce. And for caliber maybe a 300wsm.

Great advice on the scope, we have 4 or 5 Vortex scopes and they are awesome and the warrantee is great as well but that's second hand info from friends, we have never needed to use it. I agree that $2300 is pretty pricey when you can pick up a Model 70, A-Bolt II or a Weatherby for 1/2 the price or less.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

G4 BDC is a joke of a reticle. You'll see that scope gone from Vortex's lineup for 2019, it hasn't been a strong seller for them. The bluish/black reticle disappears in low light against a dark background (moose or bear hair, spruce, shadows) making bullet placement very difficult. The Leupold Vx3i is a much better scope than the Razor LH, I've owned a couple of them (Razor LH) and wouldn't recommend them to anybody. The dealer likely picked the scope up on a clearout from Vortex and trying to turn a profitable sale. I don't blame them, but I think that scope is not the best choice for your needs

The Sako is a good rifle, but for beginner hunters, probably unneeded. You'd be better off to invest $2299 into a Tikka t3X Stainless and $1100 in ammunition to practice with
    Last edited by todbartell; 06-23-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004