Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Hello. I'm a newbie to the outdoors. I have been fishing for few years but just the Fraser and local lakes..it's mainly to spend time with my kids. I recently got my pal/core/restr/non-restr and am looking forward to learning about harvesting an animal and cooking. Be it, deer/geese etc. my knowledge about hunting is zero but with camping and fishing experience I do have a base to start from. -------my main QUESTION is which guns to buy??? I'd rather purpose a gun which has a history/liked by everyone/ does its job. It's seems new guns/designs etc come every year, yet there must but the ones that are allround proven to be the best. What should I buy for myself and for my two kids. I have an 9 year old boy and 13 year old daughter. I prefer to get the right one now, instead of 'moving up' ie: chevy-Pontiac-Buick-Oldsmobile-caddilac.
    Which model of binoculars?
    any other hunting product which is a classic must gave?
    thx Roger
    Vancouver resident

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Oooooo you are asking a very dynamic question. There are so many variables especially when it comes to rifles because they all can do different things based on what you’re planning on hunting. I suspect it will be deer and black bear at first. The “best” calibre (let the debates begin) is the 30-06. It’s amazingly versatile and ammo can be found anywhere for it. There isn’t an animal in North America that hasn’t been killed by a 30-06.

As for model/brand the options or endless. I would suggest a Tikka T3 but they can be pricy for an entry level gun. My next thought is a Remington 700 or a savage. Both are entry level rifles but are deadly.

Any binoculars by Vortex are good and they have a life time warranty.

Honestly, I think the items that are the most important at first are a good pair of hiking boots, a good full shank knife, a good backpack and the time to spend in the bush.

the last item is the hardest one to find..

I think a good thought is to narrow down what your expectations of hunting are and what you want to hunt. If you are looking to hunt moose in grizzly populated areas in northern BC, my suggestions for calibre would be different. As goes if you were hunting coastal black tail on Vancouver island.

But all of that being said, you are already doing the most important thing already which is introducing your loved ones into an amazing adventure and spending time with them.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Great info,
    Thx for the tikka t3 recommendation. I read more on it and it seems to be the rifle I will buy. What would you recommend for my kids?

Buy a Browning X-bolt in 30/06 for yourself and a Browning X-bolt Micro Midas in 7mm-08 for the kids.
    The fit and finish and also the Inflex recoil pad on the Browning is much nicer than McTikka.

Mount Leupold VX3 scopes on both rifles, don't piss around with Vortex junk.
    Do this and you'll have great reliable rifles and scopes for as long as you want to keep them.

I agree for the most part with Walker probably wouldn't go 30/06 but that's just personal preference....(my brother just bought the Hells Canyon Speed in 30/06 And its gorgeous!!!)
    I cheaped out and went Axis in 243 for my kid and although it is a serviceable rifle I should have spent the extra $700 and went Micro Midas in 7mm-08, way better rifle and just a better all around cartridge in my opinion.
    Add a decent bolt .22 (t-bolt if you want to round out the collection) and a Benelli pump and you are set for just about anything BC has to offer.

There is no better starting point for any beginner, young or old, than an air rifle or rimfire at most. Better to learn basic shooting skills with something friendly and comfortable. Firearms handling and discipline can be learned in the basement or garage with a pellet gun. A decent used .22 and a few hundred rounds of ammo will get you hours and hours of entertainment and practical practice.
    Watch for proper form, sight picture, and most important any flinching or trigger jerking. Hunting rifle recoil can be intimidating at the start, no sense in scaring off a potential hunter. baby steps
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

First post pretty much nailed it. Very versatile calibre, tikka and remi700 are classics. Add a .22 for the kids and or yourself from the chiappa little badger to remi 597 or similar. and I'd suggest starting on small game with that first.. grouse / rabbits/ hares.. alot less daunting to dress and cook a couple bunnies than a 180lb deer or bear.
    Read up on hunting, animal behaviour and patterns, and get out there! Have fun whether you bring home food or not!

Take your pick...Tikka, Browning, Weatherby etc are all great rifles but the question should be... how much are you wanting to spend on rifle AND scope?

My daughters who are very petite and have been shooting at a very young age love shooting their .243 savage. Inexpensive gun light weight no kick back and has dropped every deer they have shot at with one shot.

Best bang for your buck would be a Weatherby Vanguard, in your favorite Caliber, topped with a Vortex 3-9/4-12Very accurate rifle out of the box and Vortex is producing some of the top glass on the market at a reasonable price. Never look back
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.