Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Re: Family hunting setup rifle? Kids rifle?

Thx Albravo, rackstar, Todd and guts/gal on page one.
    Tikka T3 ---should I just get the 30-06 now instead of 7mm-08?
    scope-Vx3i --which magnification?
    bino- most are saying
    voltex?
    boots- irish settler?
    thx roger
    Last edited by Rogerm; 06-06-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    watch out for miss leading advice like this!

tikka t3x 7mm-08 like said above. Then If you want some more thump once you get good at shooting get yourself a 30-06 in the same rifle. Stay clear from x bolts. And the term MCTIKKA would be a McMillan stock on a Tikka.. in that case instead of being 3 steps ahead of the x bolt your now 10.

Vx3i scopes are excellent, best bang for buck. .

Enjoy the bc wilderness it’s a great place.
    Haha that's rich.
    Ask Guntech what he thinks about X-bolts, guess he must give bad info too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerm View Post
    Thx Albravo, rackstar, Todd and guts/gal on page one.
    Tikka T3 ---should I just get the 30-06 now instead of 7mm-08?
    scope-Vx3i --which magnification?
    bino- most are saying
    voltex?
    boots- irish settler?
    thx roger

If i could go back in time I would have started my shooting career with a 7-08. Less recoil is always better for a shooter. But the 30-06 is what I started with and is very tolerable. Start with a 150 grain bullet for slightly less recoil. You can’t go wrong with a 06. Shot most my game with a 06. I would go with a 2.5-8 x36mm it is prob the most versatile scope, go no bigger then the 3.5-10x40mm.

I love my Tikka. This rifle scope combo will be reliable for many many years and keep you happy!

go with some Talley rings too!

You'll get lots of different answers as you can see, everyone has their brand preferences. My sons shoot often with me and have tried many of my smaller calibre rifles, but they always want to shoot the CZ Scout .22 that I bought for them. I scoped it with a lightweight Burris Timberline and they love how accurate it is; they started with a Savage Rascal and a red dot. I have waiting in the safe to give to them a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 (with a Zeiss nesting on top) so that they can shoot for cheap and learn proper cleaning skills if they choose to shoot surplus. That rifle has a set trigger, so they can practice their breathing and get very accurate shots out to 100 yards.

As for yourself, go and shoulder different rifles and see what you prefer for stock/design and then buy the one you prefer; that will become the 'keeper' and you will appreciate having it and passing it down when the time is right. Budget for good glass - both binos and scopes, your eyes will appreciate it for years to come. I just recently picked up my first Swarovski Z5 and there is no looking back now for any quality of glass that is less. Of course, there are many good scope choices to be had - again, buy which you prefer; everyone's eyes are different and what looks best for one person doesn't always give the same results for another.

Enjoy the time with the kids, it is precious time that both you and them shall always remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Haha that's rich.
    Ask Guntech what he thinks about X-bolts, guess he must give bad info too.
    Sorry you made a poor desicoin,
    I was stuck with a x bolt too once

Sorry you made a poor desicoin,
    I was stuck with a x bolt too once
    care to share details of that experience? it didn't shoot well? or?...

I own both an xbolt and t3, imo both have been good to me, function as they should and accurate
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

If i could go back in time I would have started my shooting career with a 7-08. Less recoil is always better for a shooter. But the 30-06 is what I started with and is very tolerable. Start with a 150 grain bullet for slightly less recoil. You can’t go wrong with a 06. Shot most my game with a 06. I would go with a 2.5-8 x36mm it is prob the most versatile scope, go no bigger then the 3.5-10x40mm.

I love my Tikka. This rifle scope combo will be reliable for many many years and keep you happy!

go with some Talley rings too!

Thx. There are so many Tikka T3 models. Which model should I get?

You should never get anything on someone's say so. Go to the gun store and try as many as you can shoulder. When you find 2 or 3 that fit you well then come back and ask which one of those people recommend and why. You will be much happier in the long run. My personal choice for fit and function was a Winchester Model 70 Carbine in 30-06, yours may be a Ruger in 308 but only you can determine that.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerm View Post
    Thx. There are so many Tikka T3 models. Which model should I get?

Stainless steel synthetic stock is hard to beat for a weather resistant work horse

Tikkas have a cult following for a reason. But like said above still explore and shoulder all makes, you might like the Kimber or Winchester better. But do a quick google search on Tikka and you won’t read much negative.

Enjoy!

I've decided on tikka t3 stainless but which model of tikka?