Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: easy-up canopy as cheap wall-tent?

Re: easy-up canopy as cheap wall-tent?

Cool. Thanks for he feedback guys .... sounds like it would be a doable cheap alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Yes they do. One guy has a costco one, it's heavier, harder to set up, and blows over just as easily if you are lazy about tieing it down. I have an additional 6x10 tarp I use for a second side on mine.
    I spike tents and the ez up down with 10" spikes if I'm truck camping. They don't blow over that way.

I'm sure there are better ones available, but mine was $100, and is used 8-10 times a year, year round. I've gotten 3 years out of it so far, and it shows no signs of breaking down.
    You sleep in yours? What do you do for heat and how do you manage condensation?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Just saw the easy-up canopies at costco that were 10x10, with walls for $279.
    Curious if anyone ever tried using one as a cheap-o wall tent option.

Actually seemed pretty sturdy so if you added some guy lines i think it'd be decent for a short stay in a drier cilmate. Wondering if anyone had ever attempted to camp under one and what they thought.

3-4 nights with a small generator and an electric heater ought to make for a fairly comfy stay? Thoughts?

http://www.midlandcanopies.com/deluxe-canopies/
    for about the same money, you can buy all four sides, have an even sturdier frame and more room.

I bought the 10X14 and stuck a wood stove out the side.
    It's no wall tent and I don't sleep in it, but for a warm shelter for a group of people it can't be beat.
    In the wind it can be drafty if a bit of care isn't taken to close up the leaks. (one tarp per side attached by ball bungies)

Break/bend something? no problem, Midland has parts....

So you use the ez-up to sleep in or just for gear? Cent tell from your post if you sleep in both car port and ez-up or just car port.

And does it move even if you stake down the frame ?!? Cause I would have expected it to be pretty sturdy when staked down well.
    I sleep in the EZ-up as my summer tent. I use the carport thing as a wall tent later in season. (The EZup also fits over a standard BC campground picnic table if you didn't want to sleep in it)

It's sturdy if you stake down the frame, BUT the walls can still "bow" in our out by about a foot if the wind is really blowing, so I recommend staking down BOTH the frame posts and the wall.

Got pics of the carport set up? That seems very interesting and cheaper alternative as well. But it sounds like it takes a while to set up.

Got pics of the carport set up? That seems very interesting and cheaper alternative as well. But it sounds like it takes a while to set up.
    Direct message me your email and I will send you a couple of photos.

Same unit is $100 at Wal-Mart. All my camping crew has one. Looks like a damn craft fair when we have a dozen people out camping. I wouldn't want to sleep in one, but they're good for a cook tent at the back of truck or camper.
    I have the Costco one and trust me it's not the same as the wallmart one. They are a good sturdy tent for a pop up/fold away. Been using it for cooking under while camping. We have the walls too and would think in a pinch it could be a good wall tent but obviously you don't have the stove option

Same unit is $100 at Wal-Mart. All my camping crew has one. Looks like a damn craft fair when we have a dozen people out camping. I wouldn't want to sleep in one, but they're good for a cook tent at the back of truck or camper.
    Not the same unit at all, not even close.

Correct, it's no easy-up....

It also takes up quite a bit more room than an easy up to transport (10x14)

Takes me about an hour and a half to set up the carport.
    If I think it's going to snow, adding twine to the frame under the canopy can take a bit more time.
    I haven't had it out in any sort of a snow load, but the frame is substantial enough. Tying the frame together with twine to keep the peak from flattening out should allow for some weight.

You sleep in yours? What do you do for heat and how do you manage condensation?
    No, I sleep either under the canopy in the back of my Ford, in the backseat of the Ford on the floor, or in the back of my 4runner. Easy up is only for cooking in.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.