Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: easy-up canopy as cheap wall-tent?

easy-up canopy as cheap wall-tent?

Just saw the easy-up canopies at costco that were 10x10, with walls for $279.
    Curious if anyone ever tried using one as a cheap-o wall tent option.

Actually seemed pretty sturdy so if you added some guy lines i think it'd be decent for a short stay in a drier cilmate. Wondering if anyone had ever attempted to camp under one and what they thought.

3-4 nights with a small generator and an electric heater ought to make for a fairly comfy stay? Thoughts?

Last edited by twoSevenO; 06-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: easy-up canopy as cheap wall-tent?

Same unit is $100 at Wal-Mart. All my camping crew has one. Looks like a damn craft fair when we have a dozen people out camping. I wouldn't want to sleep in one, but they're good for a cook tent at the back of truck or camper.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I’ve seen the car port ones used as a wall tent. A guy from work uses one and piped out a stove. Seems like he’s happy with it. I want to add a wood stove option to my longer / late season hunts. Beats the wet rat feeling

Picked up one of the Coleman ones. Will let you know how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Same unit is $100 at Wal-Mart. All my camping crew has one. Looks like a damn craft fair when we have a dozen people out camping. I wouldn't want to sleep in one, but they're good for a cook tent at the back of truck or camper.
    Do they come with sides and aluminum frame?
    Cause all the Walmart ones I've seen were crappier construction and no sides

I have helped set a few of these up. The new Coleman ones (201 seem to be the "best" ones out there. Sturdier construction and a fair bit easier to erect.

Amusingly enough I just bought one of those off Amazon.com and have used it for two outings so far this year...

The Wal-mart ones are Wal-mart quality.

The Coleman ones are a step up, but not "industrial" quality.

I bought a brand called Eurmax off of Amazon.com (after converting USD to CAN it was a bit more than the Costco model). "Quality" brands are EurMax, EZ-up, and one other I forget. There are also a number of local aluminum tent companies that make them.

If walls are not an issue - or if you are willing to buy 8X10 tarps to use as walls, I would also consider this one (or something like it) - that has venting at the peak of the tent... explanation on why venting is good below:
    www.amazon.com/CORE-Instant-Shelter-Pop-Up-Wheeled/dp/B01E45EYJY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1528080071&sr=8-7&keywords=pop-up+tent

They go up pretty easy (set up at home for the first time to stretch the roof out). Two people is preferable, if you only have one person then spike on of the legs into the ground before pulling it out to set it up.

They WILL move in the wind (despite what people) say - especially with the walls up. Get spikes for the legs. Mine has the ability to spike the walls down too - with a loop for a spike in the middle of the wall - you will need this as the walls will blow in our out even when they are velcro-d and zippered. I prefer spikes to stakes and guidelines since you need to do the walls anyway if you have a good wind (think camped by a river or side of lake).

The walls are a very light nylon (hence why they blow more than canvas). The good part is this make them easy to clean (a bird pooped on ours first day out).

With the walls up, the tent does hold heat/humidity. Even with the low 20's last weekend it was easy to fall asleep once inside due to that warmth (think being inside a not-too-hot sauna). Mine has one wall with a door and mesh window - will definately have the window open in the summer (maybe even roll up the wall until it is time to sleep).

We used cots on the inside (yay for not sleeping on the floor), a 12X12 tarp as a floor (use rope to attach to the frame so the tarp came 1-2 feet up the side of the tent), and had hangers with coats etc. on the frame no problem.

As mentioned by a post above I use a portable carport as a wall tent - these are not the same. Much lighter material - I would NEVER have a wood stove inside.

Edit: Can't seem to attach file larger than 64KB???
    Last edited by David; 06-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.

So you use the ez-up to sleep in or just for gear? Cent tell from your post if you sleep in both car port and ez-up or just car port.

And does it move even if you stake down the frame ?!? Cause I would have expected it to be pretty sturdy when staked down well.

Those plastic shells can build up condensation unless they are vented some. Easy to do in warm weather, not so dry in the late season
    But for the price they work if you manage the issues
    Current unit at Costco is a little larger, 13x13 looks like the roof overhangs the 12x12? walls, the extra space would be nice

Saw two being used in a camp and when the wind came up strong the family just dropped the legs down to the lower height. Not so comfy but smart idea
    Last edited by boxhitch; 06-03-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Do they come with sides and aluminum frame?
    Cause all the Walmart ones I've seen were crappier construction and no sides
    Yes they do. One guy has a costco one, it's heavier, harder to set up, and blows over just as easily if you are lazy about tieing it down. I have an additional 6x10 tarp I use for a second side on mine.
    I spike tents and the ez up down with 10" spikes if I'm truck camping. They don't blow over that way.

I'm sure there are better ones available, but mine was $100, and is used 8-10 times a year, year round. I've gotten 3 years out of it so far, and it shows no signs of breaking down.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.