Thread: New Horizonsarea(s)

New Horizonsarea(s)

Hi all. Lurked for years, but finally have a question to ask so joined up.

The question is, if you’re starting from scratch where would you be going hunting and laying down roots? Moose and deer, elk and bear being secondary, are the intended freezer fillers.

If you have a suggestion, as broad as an MU or otherwise, I’d love to hear it. If you’d like some context, here’s my sob story...

About a a year ago we had a couple things happen. My dad decided to file for divorce and our family ranch outside Clinton had a good chunk of it burned. Even worse the plateau where our family has been deer hunting for now 5 generations was pretty well torched.

The forest and game will come back to the area of course but the family situation looks to be a little more permanent and we’re looking for our own area(s) to start some new traditions.

We've been looking at 3-31 just across from our old area of 3-30 for deer and all sorts of different areas for Moose, 5-1 though 5-4 as well as up north of Hudson Hope. Our previous moose trip was just north of PG in the Salmon River areas. But we’re open to pretty well anywhere and I imagine this will be a bit of a multi-year odyssey to find new hunting grounds.

Suggestions much appreciated.

**Rookie mistake, screwed up the title

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Horizonsarea(s)

Good to see you on Precarious hope yah find yer spot and things work out for you and the ones you care about.
    -- Sorry to hear bout family break up.
    Jel -- the best to you and may the answer come along soon --

Kamloops area for sure, probably north of town.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

Appreciate the kind words, Jelvis.

Kamloops, really? Would have figured that would be a busy area but I’ll certainly check it out. I do vaguely remember hearing some stories about good deer around McLure.

Sounds like the Peace Region would be a good fit. Hudson’s Hope, Fort St John, Dawson Creek areas for putting down new roots. All good areas for hunting. Moose, Deer, Elk and lots of open spaces still and easy to get away from the crowds unlike most areas to the south. Good luck.

Appreciate the advice, North. Would be nice to get away from the crowds for once. And the LEH odds up there sure are enticing.

I keep looking at the east side of Big Creek park, around hungry peak. I think I’m going to have to check that out too.

I worked on the Farrell creek drilling project for a few years. Very cool country around Hudson's Hope! Lots of game, Great Lakes, creeks and rivers to fish. Hiking, quading, camp spots everywhere. I could live there. Winters aren't all that bad either, still get chinooks there.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by PrecariousPhoto View Post
    Appreciate the advice, North. Would be nice to get away from the crowds for once. And the LEH odds up there sure are enticing.

I keep looking at the east side of Big Creek park, around hungry peak. I think I’m going to have to check that out too.
    Nice thing with the Peace, is you won’t need the LEH. Fairly easy to get what you’re after if know a thing or two.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Sounds like the Peace Region would be a good fit. Hudson’s Hope, Fort St John, Dawson Creek areas for putting down new roots. All good areas for hunting. Moose, Deer, Elk and lots of open spaces still and easy to get away from the crowds unlike most areas to the south. Good luck.
    Totally agree....that being said, there are some good ungulate areas within regions 3, 4, and 8 from my experiences, but you just gotta scout and put the time in to learn your areas, good luck!

Heck of a good reason to get out and scout and the wife can’t complain too much!

Going to spend some time this summer looking around 3-31, 5-02 and 5-3 and then venture up north depending how the LEH turns out.