Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big bear down

Big bear down

Went for a drive Saturday morning looking for bears. With the weather a lot cooler than last week I figured it was the perfect time. After a short time, I spotted a big bear out in the distance feeding off the road. Took out the binos and saw a nice chocolate coloured grizzly.

https://m.imgur.com/sJNIUJ3

After watching the grizzly for a bit we continued on and spotted a couple more black bears that didn’t offer up a shot.

Went back home for lunch and to do a few chores around the house. Had a look outside and figured I should go out for a quick evening hunt....it was raining on and off during the day but it looks like it stopped. We hit the road and don’t see anything.. It’s getting a little late so we are starting to think about turning around and heading back. We turn the corner and see a big boy staring at us about 80 yards away. I stop the truck and throw it in reverse and back the truck around the corner out of site. Bear just continues to feed like nothing happens. I close the distance to 40 yards to get over a small hill so I can make the shot. He continues to feed closing the distance to 30 yards when he finally noticed me laying in the middle of the road. He stares at me not sure what I am. He finally turns and I take my shot after waiting about five minutes for him to give me the broadside shot. I didn’t want to take a frontal shot on this guy.

The shot goes through the top of both lungs, bottom of spine and out the far shoulder. He hits the ground right were he was standing.

https://m.imgur.com/Dhf4ojh

The bear had several inches of fat on him and was in great condition. He tapped out at 6’8 skinned and was over 7 from front paw to front paw. Freezer is now full!
    Last edited by The_Bear_Man; 05-28-2018 at 07:57 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Big bear down

Great bear!!! beauty, nice work

Nice one, good pix too -- dah bear man rocks
    Jel -- let's hear it folks

Awesome! Man I miss grizzly bear hunting. Seeing that picture of the grizz through the spotter sure brings back memories of hunting them. Nice looking blackie

Brute of a great bear.
    Loaded with fat? I foretell a lot of baking in the future
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Great share, nice Bruin.
    cheers
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

What a hog, congrats!

Lots of big bruins going down this may... Let's hope it helps out all the calving moose this year !

awesome bear congrats
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Big indeed, thanks for sharing!