Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walking in the footsteps of a legend part II: another rookie bear down

Re: Walking in the footsteps of a legend part II: another rookie bear down

Lets not turn this great story and hunt into a debate. Shall we? Fantastic job on the hunt, our buddy Dave would be proud!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Great story. Thanks for the share. I’m definitely bow hunting my next bear. Glad you had your sun with you. We had a 6 year old with us this weekend and it was a blast for him and for us
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Pemby_mess Guest

Nice photos! Looks kinda like a sun bear with the patch on its chest.

Nicely done, good family effort, though it seems Dad makes his rounds ) and has helped many
    The best stories seem to come from newer hunters, maybe us old pharts are a bit jaded
    Thanks for the post
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Congrats on the bear and Thx for the story.

Thanks Steeleco, really means a lot! Just saw your bear now, definitely a bruiser and should make some tasty meals!
    Good luck on arrowing your bear next year Brew, shoot some 3Ds in the off season if you don't already, really helps with judging yardage when you don't have time to use the rangefinder or the critter has moved since you last ranged it. I actually thought the same about the sun bear, was a really cool patch on this guy with a small round white spot above the heart shape, wish I got better photos before I unzipped him but at least I saved the hide.
    Dad certainly has made his rounds and helped a lot of people harvest their first animal, not many like him out there. Glad I had the good fortune to make a connection like that and have such an experienced and well equipped mentor with me on my first successful big game hunt.

Great story and pics, I really enjoyed it.

Very nicely done....great write up!!

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Steven I know you're an HBC veteran and highly value your opinion, don't think for a second I don't take your words lightly or as a negative comment to rain on my bear hunt. I did put some careful consideration into which photos I included on this public forum and which ones did not make the cut...as I mentioned my son retrieved the heart and there's an awesome photo of him holding up his trophy meal but I left that out due to the gutpile in the background. I thought the head was fine though, maybe I'm just underestimating the poor perception some of the public have on any animals death but I do somewhat agree with TexasWalker, if the hide was still attached there would be absolutely no issue. Like I said though your opinion does mean a lot and if you really think I should take it down I will, was the only photo I had of Dad's bear though so I felt it definitely fit in there.

Thanks Caddisguy, highs and lows is sure right!! That was a great move on his behalf, he never let on that he saw him before I did until either the next day or later that night. Good catch, that's a big part of the story that I never ended up explaining! Walking up to him I could see bright red lung blood bubbling from the exact spot I was aiming at and wondered how I had still hit him where I was aiming when I know he took a step forward and I watched the arrow sail into the back of his ribs. My adrenaline must have still been going though because I realized that was his right side so I was looking at the exit wound, he was quartering away a bit more than I thought he was so if he hadn't stepped forward I most likely would have heart punched him and then hit the offside shoulder, his step forward put him at the perfect angle to sneak right in between the ribs on each side and take out his lungs in between. Dead bear either way at 25 but could have been a totally different story at 40. Very valuable lesson in shot placement when an animal isn't perfectly broadside, shot the poco 3D today and kept in mind on all the angled shots where the arrow would be exiting. At the end of the day though his step forward saved me an arrow and kept the heart intact for our weekend meal, big win!
    Awesome story...the event could not been better..great photos..having the youngster along..tremendous..
    You considered the photos..posted fair enough...im only one member here..your hunt your photos..im pleased for the success.
    Cheers and congradulations
    Steven

Thanks for the kind words Steven, really does mean a lot. Yes, only one member but one with a highly valued opinion as I said. I actually brought you up to my son during this hunt and mentioned that when (not if) the day comes for us to think about making my uncle proud and filling the freezer with moose meat that you're the man we'll need to talk to. When that day does come the last thing I want is for you to remember me as the guy that represents our lifestyle in a negative light. I do see your point and didn't take your comment as an attack on my post in any way, probably a good reminder to all that the majority of anti-hunters don't share our rationale of a dead animal being a dead animal no matter whether it's a grouse or a wolf and something I will certainly keep in mind for the future.