Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walking in the footsteps of a legend part II: another rookie bear down

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Walking in the footsteps of a legend part II: another rookie bear down

Great well written story and pictures, and a bowhunted bear as well, Dave Marsh would have been all over this story, very good of you to keep the memory alive of a great person, hunter and friend as well as a great contributor to HBC.ca in Dave "Big Boar" Marsh, he was a Legend in the Making as a hunter when we lost him.

Even better part of this story is the family get together with your dad and son along......thanks for sharing Simon
    Cheers
    WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Thanks guys!
    Sawmill I guess I should have made that more clear, the head in the road is Dad's bear, mine was skinned out for a rug.

Thanks for the kind words Don, I'm not a superstitious man but I kind of feel like Dave may have played a roll in my good fortune...either way I'm honored to have been able to keep his legacy going.

hmmmm.well written photographed account..congradulations to all. Dave would have been proud..

I never try to say something that may be misconstrued as to being negative..but as hunters we need to watch our public posts photos how the non hunting public perceives us..

I try never to publish,posts of graphic depictions that may bring our lifestyle,sport into disrespect..give the anties no ammunition..
    I found the photo of the decapitated bear head did not bring respect to the dead bear..my opinion

I found 2 adults, one child and the bear on the ATV to also push the boundries..perhaps staged for photo op but gives the impression it was done..or even its OK.bad example again IMO.
    the hunt, the success the never say never attitude , photos..and a story even Dave would have enjoyed..congrads
    cheers
    Steven Rupp

HOLY!!!

Did you honestly think I would be able to wait until my morning commute to read this? You must have thought I was out in the bush this weekend

I feverishly read through the write-up, feeling your excitement, up's and down's, anticipation, etc as if I was there.

Dad is a class act mentor and a heck of a woodsman. I have no doubts about that. I really liked the part about how from the sounds of it, he found the bear before you did but didn't say a word making sure you found him... under his wing, but still on your own. Great way to learn and build confidence.

I am definitely going to be re-reading the story on my commute. One thing I might have missed is where the arrow actually hit him? Did you end up clipping the heart or a major artery? Or was it high enough to get a piece of the lungs? Or you got the liver after all? He certainly didn't make it very far. EDIT: Just noticed from the picture it looks like a good lung shot

I know what a chore skinning and dressing can be. After many bears it still takes me an hour or two before we are packing meat out. I haven't really worked to improve my technique and I never did have anyone to show me the ropes. Maybe you can show me one day lol ... it is crazy how seasoned hunters who know their stuff have a bear all done in 15-20 minutes.

Well a huge WAY TO GO and THANKS to Dad. Congrats to all of you... two bears to boot!!
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-27-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmmm.well written photographed account..congradulations to all. Dave would have been proud..

I never try to say something that may be misconstrued as to being negative..but as hunters we need to watch our public posts photos how the non hunting public perceives us..

I try never to publish,posts of graphic depictions that may bring our lifestyle,sport into disrespect..give the anties no ammunition..
    I found the photo of the decapitated bear head did not bring respect to the dead bear..my opinion

I found 2 adults, one child and the bear on the ATV to also push the boundries..perhaps staged for photo op but gives the impression it was done..or even its OK.bad example again IMO.
    the hunt, the success the never say never attitude , photos..and a story even Dave would have enjoyed..congrads
    cheers
    Steven Rupp
    I disagree.
    We need to stop pandering to naysayers.
    If you don't like the bears head don't look at it, simple.

I understand what you're trying to say Steve but I don't think it applies here.
    The quad photo is just all of them loaded up ready to get the bear out.
    If the bear was propped up on the seat with its paws on the handle bars and a smoke hanging out of its mouth I would agree with you.

Let me ask you this.
    If the photo of the head was a stone sheep with the cape rolled up under it and somebody's son posing beside it with a big grin after a successful sheep hunt would you feel it to be disrespectful??

No offence intended to you Steve, just offering another point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    I disagree.
    We need to stop pandering to naysayers.
    If you don't like the bears head don't look at it, simple.

I understand what you're trying to say Steve but I don't think it applies here.
    The quad photo is just all of them loaded up ready to get the bear out.
    If the bear was propped up on the seat with its paws on the handle bars and a smoke hanging out of its mouth I would agree with you.

Let me ask you this.
    If the photo of the head was a stone sheep with the cape rolled up under it and somebody's son posing beside it with a big grin after a successful sheep hunt would you feel it to be disrespectful??

No offence intended to you Steve, just offering another point of view.
    Lol no offense taken.tastefull..respectful..congradulations on fine hunting trip indeed.
    Steven

Steven I know you're an HBC veteran and highly value your opinion, don't think for a second I don't take your words lightly or as a negative comment to rain on my bear hunt. I did put some careful consideration into which photos I included on this public forum and which ones did not make the cut...as I mentioned my son retrieved the heart and there's an awesome photo of him holding up his trophy meal but I left that out due to the gutpile in the background. I thought the head was fine though, maybe I'm just underestimating the poor perception some of the public have on any animals death but I do somewhat agree with TexasWalker, if the hide was still attached there would be absolutely no issue. Like I said though your opinion does mean a lot and if you really think I should take it down I will, was the only photo I had of Dad's bear though so I felt it definitely fit in there.

Thanks Caddisguy, highs and lows is sure right!! That was a great move on his behalf, he never let on that he saw him before I did until either the next day or later that night. Good catch, that's a big part of the story that I never ended up explaining! Walking up to him I could see bright red lung blood bubbling from the exact spot I was aiming at and wondered how I had still hit him where I was aiming when I know he took a step forward and I watched the arrow sail into the back of his ribs. My adrenaline must have still been going though because I realized that was his right side so I was looking at the exit wound, he was quartering away a bit more than I thought he was so if he hadn't stepped forward I most likely would have heart punched him and then hit the offside shoulder, his step forward put him at the perfect angle to sneak right in between the ribs on each side and take out his lungs in between. Dead bear either way at 25 but could have been a totally different story at 40. Very valuable lesson in shot placement when an animal isn't perfectly broadside, shot the poco 3D today and kept in mind on all the angled shots where the arrow would be exiting. At the end of the day though his step forward saved me an arrow and kept the heart intact for our weekend meal, big win!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Lol no offense taken.tastefull..respectful..congradulations on fine hunting trip indeed.
    Steven
    You didn't answer my question though.
    What makes a bear head different from a ram head or a mule deer head?
    I see all animals as the same.

Great to see 3 generations hunting together, you are so lucky to have that.

Excellent story and pics. Congrats on a successful family hunt, way to get it done