Thread: Advocate for Caribou before June 15th at 4pm!

Advocate for Caribou before June 15th at 4pm!

The provincial government is consulting the public regarding caribou recovery. The BCWF has just published a ton of facts and infographics and is calling on people to respond to the provincial government before the deadline on June 15th at 4pm. Here is the link to the info. This concerns all of us and we should all take a couple minutes to make our voices heard.

http://bcwf.net/index.php/committees...ribou-recovery

http://www.vancouverhunter.com/<--------- LINK TO BLOG

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advocate for Caribou before June 15th at 4pm!

Caribou are just not resilient animals. From climate change to logging to human use they just cannot adapt. Does anyone in the know truly believe they can be recovered? I just don't see it, especially on the limited budget and political mandate wildlife management has to work with.

"Does anyone in the know truly believe they can be recovered?"

I think the answer to that is yes, based on what I've heard one caribou bio say. Much of the habitat that was logged and as a result improved for moose/whitetails has been almost exploited - meaning the logging will stop for a good while, the moose/deer habitat will degrade and the caribou will be able to get a bit more breathing room. That's not a super big light at the end of the tunnel, but it was the concrete bright spot he could point to.

It won't be easy. It'll take more maternal penning, more predator control, more access restrictions, etc., but at least in some areas there is light at the end of the tunnel.

"the limited budget and political mandate wildlife management has to work with"

That's as big a threat as wolves and habitat and has to be addressed as well, bringing us back to the OPs call to action.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    Caribou are just not resilient animals. From climate change to logging to human use they just cannot adapt. Does anyone in the know truly believe they can be recovered? I just don't see it, especially on the limited budget and political mandate wildlife management has to work with.
    I'll bet that Caribou are much more resilient than you are giving them credit for.

Recovering Caribou in the short term in their southern ranges could likely be achieved with one simple action, Intense predator control.

The real issue at hand is human perspective.

Nature and Caribou don't care if they lose part of their range for a few hundred years. It just doesn't matter, except to us.

There used to be a caribou heard in Jasper National park. They are no longer there. Why? There is no industrial activity, no logging etc.

i believe predator control is the only thing that will help caribou.

^^^^we have a winner......last 2 posts get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    I'll bet that Caribou are much more resilient than you are giving them credit for.

Recovering Caribou in the short term in their southern ranges could likely be achieved with one simple action, Intense predator control.

The real issue at hand is human perspective.

Nature and Caribou don't care if they lose part of their range for a few hundred years. It just doesn't matter, except to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by DV-67 View Post
    There used to be a caribou heard in Jasper National park. They are no longer there. Why? There is no industrial activity, no logging etc.

i believe predator control is the only thing that will help caribou.
    I agree gentlemen, good points.

I have contributed a few points on the government website, but there are a stupid number of places that you can provide feedback. Its hard to believe that anything will come out of such a process when someone can leave feedback in 80 potential places.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

I wonder what happened to the herd that was relocated around Cranbrook country a few years back ? heard the they did not survive.