Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daughters black bear hunt canceled

Re: Daughters black bear hunt canceled

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    That sucks and to top things off the dipshit who designed the new tags had to make then just a little bigger so they would not fit in your wallet, brilliant....
    Yes I don't get that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    That sucks and to top things off the dipshit who designed the new tags had to make then just a little bigger so they would not fit in your wallet, brilliant....
    Same dufus that came up with the 8x11 fishing license.

I guess this was my point. The old system worked excellent for all hunters, perhaps not so good for govt type in the field, changes are made , no consultation or trial runs . New system works great for some a disaster for others. So how can it be viewed as an improvement ?? I did after three days of trying get tags for my daughter, and did go out and stalk a few bears today , that said the current system is worse overall than the old one and was pushed thru to satisfy the egos of some current and past mid level bureaucrats, once again people of all stripes who hunt in bc got screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    I guess this was my point. The old system worked excellent for all hunters, perhaps not so good for govt type in the field, changes are made , no consultation or trial runs . New system works great for some a disaster for others. So how can it be viewed as an improvement ?? I did after three days of trying get tags for my daughter, and did go out and stalk a few bears today , that said the current system is worse overall than the old one and was pushed thru to satisfy the egos of some current and past mid level bureaucrats, once again people of all stripes who hunt in bc got screwed
    I never had any problems with the license and tag system. But I do have problems with the LEH system, and the PAL system. Maybe it depends on whom we vote for?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I never had any problems with the license and tag system. But I do have problems with the LEH system, and the PAL system. Maybe it depends on whom we vote for?
    Not for me. This was started under libs and Ndp are following thru , this isn’t political its burecratic in nature , not grinding an axe with either party in this one , more about the minions in the system

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    It depends when you try to get your bear tag or other tags. If you happen to try to order a bear tag during LEH crunch time, or when it first opens or in the day or so after results are released, the system is over-loaded and as a result, either connections to the web server timeout or connections between their web server and database server fail. It is a very outdated style of infrastructure that does not scale to volume. Not only does this result in a decrease in availability, but it is generally more expensive than using elastic infrastructure that automatically scales up and down according to demand where you only pay for the resources that you actually use (instead of paying for resources that are 99.99% un-utilized for the majority of the year and then fail when significant resources are actually needed)

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    Not for me. This was started under libs and Ndp are following thru , this isn’t political its burecratic in nature , not grinding an axe with either party in this one , more about the minions in the system
    What is likely comes down to is the IT consultant who spec'd out the infrastructure was unqualified to carry out such a simple task and the bureaucracy you speak of gets in the way of the equally simple task of acknowledging the recurrent problem and carrying out the simple task of migrating it to a more stable AND cost-effective infrastructure.

deaddog... i saw a guy in kamloops swrvice bc same boat trying to get hos daughter a liscense...2days in a row...teller at service bc was good just couldnt do it for the junior...that dad and daughtet clearly missed school and work...they where unsucesful when i left.

I purchased my license in late March, bear tag in early April. Will grab my elk moose deer etc tags well in advance of my fall hunts. Glitches will be an annoyance, but not a hunt stopper
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Kids we take hunting look up to us as role models and they absorb everything. A hunt that special deserves better advanced planning - like Tod Bartell said tags are available far earlier than a few days before your hunt. The system may not be perfect but ranting against the government and the system overlooks your part in creating the problem. Also, any illegal hunting you teach her about shooting an animal without a tag or cancelling someone else’s tag not only lets her down but has a very unfortunate ripple effect.

Hunting is about doing the right thing even if no one would find out. I hope you take the responsibility you have to teach her the right way more seriously. She looks up to you and will do as you do. That’s part of the amazing side of passing on hunting traditions. Plan ahead it’s not that hard. The system isn’t perfect but it did not ruin your hunt.

SB