Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Daughters black bear hunt canceled

Re: Daughters black bear hunt canceled

Just like hitting Save-On Foods for Campbels Cream of Mushroom and you wait til thee end, allll gone zoided. Lesson learned, don't be lazy.
    Jel -- If your lazy then you miss out -- get off thy ass, and move n groove with LEH and our Ministry, pay the co$t and get lucky -- gotta try or nuttin so go for it.

So, under the old system would it of been an issue? Absolutely not!! That is the simple point I was trying to make, nothing more . As far as the leh the majority of our hunts are in gos areas so leh hasn’t been an issue for my family . Now it is clear that we have taken a number of steps back in the service I’ll make sure and get tags etc first day , that said once again the gov hacks rammed this down our throat under the guise it would be more efficent and we would still have the option of same day service at service bc. Both are lies.

[QUOTE=j270wsm;2011207]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    So four days in advance is last minute? All done at service bc. Three trips in three days. I don’t call that last minute in any way shape or form .

So you started trying to get the licence and tags 4 days before the deadline for leh and were shocked that the system didn't work properly??

Under normal circumstances....I would think 4 days would be enough time to get a licence and tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    Glad it works for some. My main point is under the old system I would of popped by my local country store on the way home from work on the day before we left , in 20 minutes I would of had tags and been on my way. Today even for those that it did work it’s 4 days later. Pretty clear to me the system isn’t “ better” and that non hunting govt types have an agenda. Some will keep their heads in the sand though and continue to like the taste of the shit were being fed.
    Ain't that the truth....way complicate things - idiots....that being said, I still bought my licence and tag the old fashioned way, at Cambodia tire, though I guess it was more complicated for you due to the youth licence fiasco...

Nobody wants their own daughters hunt cancelled, But shit happens, something wasn't completed and now has been done.
    -- next time it won't hap poooon -- this is how we all learn by trying first, then we get things straightened out for next time --
    Jello -- Always try for at least one LEH tag, or you'll be left out of the mix, of trix and fun, with your gun, in the hunting season, no LEH - sow apply now!
    Last edited by Jelvis; 05-29-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: YOU HAVE TO PULL THE TRIGGER

System has issues without a doubt

Step in the right direction but a mess at present

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I purchased my license in late March, bear tag in early April. Will grab my elk moose deer etc tags well in advance of my fall hunts. Glitches will be an annoyance, but not a hunt stopper
    I think that's going to be the key to working within the new system- plan ahead, buy in advance to ensure things go smoothly.

I think everyone around here was happy when the online system was introduced. Our local store stopped selling HL and tags a couple of years prior to the system going online, so it was almost a 3 hour round trip for us, and that sucked.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

[QUOTE=Deaddog;2011212]So, under the old system would it of been an issue? Absolutely not!! That is the simple point I was trying to make, nothing more . As far as the leh the majority of our hunts are in gos areas so leh hasn’t been an issue for my family . Now it is clear that we have taken a number of steps back in the service I’ll make sure and get tags etc first day , that said once again the gov hacks rammed this down our throat under the guise it would be more efficent and we would still have the option of same day service at service bc. Both are lies.

Up until a few yrs ago the closest service bc was 160km from us. Our only store that sold licences/tags only had one employee that was allowed to sell them, she worked mon - fri and had stupid work hours. 80% of our town works 4 on 4 off 12hr days/nights, so it could be a real pain. There was times when they didn't send someone to get a new box of licences/tags for a few days or a week and a half.

I understand the point you were trying to make. My point is that this new system, though it isn't perfect, allows you to buy your licence/tags/leh all from home any time of the day. Your not restricted by anything but your own procrastination. It sucks that your daughter wasn't able to get her licence/tags but at the end of the day, it can't be blamed 100% on the system crashing......

For some of us, this new system works awesome. As I said before, avoid trying to buy licence/tags/leh in the first few weeks or near the end of leh being available and the system shouldn't be screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    It is a very outdated style of infrastructure that does not scale to volume. Not only does this result in a decrease in availability, but it is generally more expensive than using elastic infrastructure that automatically scales up and down according to demand where you only pay for the resources that you actually use (instead of paying for resources that are 99.99% un-utilized for the majority of the year and then fail when significant resources are actually needed)

The issue here is our privacy & data storage requirements (and bureaucracy).

I know someone who recently retired from quite high up in the provinces tech department, and this was one of his biggest gripes.

For example, some of their systems that share data with Ottawa:
    Because of US laws put in place after 9/11 where they're allowed to intercept whatever data they want, higher ups won't allow our data to pass through the states, even if it's encrypted, despite the best/fastest node being in Seattle or somewhere down there. All the solutions available generally take the fastest route, so our provincial gov't tech guys have to bootstrap it, and come up with their own workarounds to keep the data within our borders, which significantly impact the effectiveness and responsiveness of their systems by several orders of magnitudes, despite the fact our data would be just as secure going the conventional route through the states.

Same reason the province doesn't really get to use cloud computing in a lot of instances, data travels through the states, or doesn't meet the storage requirements.

The other bit being the bureaucrats, same as the Phoenix system. Higher-ups say make it work, this is when we're delivering, the worker bees say it can't be done or it won't work, and the higher ups have already committed themselves so they push on.

The big lesson to learn is plan ahead. which is tough for older guys or people not used to computers.. hell im on my dad all the time about " get your leh in" what does he do,,,, wait till the last minute and has a problem with password renewal..
    eventually he got it figured but it was close....... Gone are the days where you just swing in and do it on Friday... realise that.... get used to it.... it is the way it is... and think about it this way. You can sit in your house in march and get all your tags delivered to your door, you don't need to worry about loosing your license because you don't carry one now. Conservation have an easier go of tooling information in the field,, we can fill in LEH online and handle that easier....

there are a tonne of benefits to it, you just need to understand that there might be a hitch here and there so do it early........ and the whole conspiracy theory is honestly laughable, honestly.... give your head a shake on that one...
    I live in Victoria.. my Vegan sister worked in the LEH department... look out! she is a vegan! living in Victoria!.... but she eats meat dad and I catch or shoot... and I have never got a Rosie draw from her either!

Quote Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
    The issue here is our privacy & data storage requirements (and bureaucracy).

I know someone who recently retired from quite high up in the provinces tech department, and this was one of his biggest gripes.

For example, some of their systems that share data with Ottawa:
    Because of US laws put in place after 9/11 where they're allowed to intercept whatever data they want, higher ups won't allow our data to pass through the states, even if it's encrypted, despite the best/fastest node being in Seattle or somewhere down there. All the solutions available generally take the fastest route, so our provincial gov't tech guys have to bootstrap it, and come up with their own workarounds to keep the data within our borders, which significantly impact the effectiveness and responsiveness of their systems by several orders of magnitudes, despite the fact our data would be just as secure going the conventional route through the states.

Same reason the province doesn't really get to use cloud computing in a lot of instances, data travels through the states, or doesn't meet the storage requirements.

The other bit being the bureaucrats, same as the Phoenix system. Higher-ups say make it work, this is when we're delivering, the worker bees say it can't be done or it won't work, and the higher ups have already committed themselves so they push on.

What your friend was beating around the bush about is the damned FOIPPA that kills all cloud services and hosted services in BC. I work for the gov in the IT industry and its a massive pain in the ass that we cannot use a lot of well used services because of our BC FOIPPA laws. We have apps we cannot use, websites, services ..... the list goes on. All in the name of protecting user (BC residents) data.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.