Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hunting regulations - Has anyone eaten a Eurasian Collared-Dove?

New hunting regulations - Has anyone eaten a Eurasian Collared-Dove?

In light of the proposed new hunting regulations for an open season on Eurasian Collared-Doves in Regions 3, 4, and 8, has anyone eaten one of these birds? Is anyone planning to hunt and eat them? I am writing an article for a regional BC magazine on these invasive birds and am looking for comments and thoughts from hunters.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New hunting regulations - Has anyone eaten a Eurasian Collared-Dove?

First I have heard of this. Is the federal government in favor of this, as it's their call. These birds are federally regulated and you will require a migratory hunting license.

I hope they include Reg 2 as well, there are quite a few of them, and damn right i would hunt and eat them. They are tasty and as an invasive species a year round season on them would be good.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have eaten lots of mourning doves and they are excellent table fare. Can't imagine the collared dove would be different, they are almost identical.(little bigger and have the collar.) I think it would be difficult to tell the two apart on a wing shot.

There are not just a few pairs of them in Langley. Can I shoot them in my cul-d-sac LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

These birds are federally regulated and you will require a migratory hunting license.
    Collared Dove are an invasive specie and should be in the same class as starlings.

This is a federal initiative. The open hunting season will be allowed in zones where there is already an open season for Mourning Doves. Apparently the province of BC has been asking for options to manage Eurasian Collared-Doves for some time.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...017.html#toc15

Hunting doves in CA I've shot and eaten them. Can't tell the difference from normal mourning doves.

Unfortunately don't think they will go Sched "C" - "The invasive ECDO is identified in the list of birds protected in Canada under the MBCA, which precludes its listing in BC’s Schedule C and the use of control measures aimed at invasive species. The MBCA allows for the setting of hunting seasons, which is the only management tool currently available to help manage ECDOs. Eurasian Collared-Doves are fairly similar to Mourning Doves and the two species can easily be confused. Under the current regulations, Mourning Doves can be harvested but ECDOs cannot. Anyone harvesting an ECDO during a Mourning Dove season is committing an offence under the Migratory Birds Regulations and that person is subject to charges.

Those things are a noisy and annoying invasive species (flying rats) not even native to the American continents what so ever. They are extremely loud and make completely unnatural bird noises for BC that are beyond annoying and wake everyone up at daybreak every damn morning. They have like 6 litters a year and if we don't get a handle on them soon then they will become a plague like they are in places such as Argentina where they shoot thousands a day and don't even put a dent in the population which is wiping out crops etc. They should be exterminated. If I didn't live in city limits I'd be shooting every single one I saw.
    Last edited by russm86; 05-24-2018 at 07:56 AM.