Thread: What are your favourite online resources?

What are your favourite online resources?

For all you old timers and those of you with a few filled tags under your belt, what are some of your favourite online resources for finding places and landowners? Do you just drive around until you find a spot? do you go on google maps? do you have a fav hunting app downloaded onto your phone you use? What about finding out where boundaries are, where do you go to search that?

There's probably a thread on this somewhere, but if i'm asking someone else is wondering the same thing and not.

cheers
    Dont be a magnum stultus petram- you may just be what you hate with a different name tag

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What are your favourite online resources?

Even though I’ve never hunted (yet), I’m preparing. Hunting license, check, PAL just yesterday, phone full of apps (iHunter, Hunt Buddy), access to google earth, access to BC regulations https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...-2016-2018.pdf

then go to http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/ and click the “Discovery Tool” (on a laptop....cuz it doesn’t seem to work on iPhone for me.....and start digging around for crown land or otherwise unoccupied land.

Its definitely tough to get going and to feel 100% sure you’ve located a legal spot.

i dug around through all that, found some Forest Service Roads then asked folks on this forum for their advice. Couple guys got back and said that I was clear to hunt up those roads.....so now I’m just waiting to buy a shotgun and for the fall. I plan on drifting some swamps/water bodies in my kayak for some birds! Looks fun on YouTube anyway!!

Good luck!!

Slinky Pickle put up a great tutorial for google earth here - https://youtu.be/EqRXKLeNVBo
    havent been able to get it to work on my cell and i dont think i'll ever.

I've been using HuntStand when i go out, so far so good. love the fact that it brings up the parcel outline, only downside is that the parcel info doesnt come up unless you're in the states. if someone can get the info i'd love to know how. Havent tried huntbuddy since it sounds like the android version is pretty lame considering i have a copy of the current hunting and fishing regs on my phone anyway and huntstand does the other stuff for free

Another map app that i like to use is Canada Maps. 100% free unless you want to download maps to your device for offline use. you have your choice of 4 canadian maps (CanMatrix, CanTopo, Base Map, and Toporama) and 12 world maps including bing maps and the google trio.
    Dont be a magnum stultus petram- you may just be what you hate with a different name tag

The best advice I can give is talk to your peers! They're the best source of information, be prepared for some ribbing but this is the best group of people. If you need some information PM me and I'd be happy to help.
    Tight groups Safe hunts

As one of the "oldtimers" on here, there was NO ONLINE, other than a dial up telephone between you and your friends. No cell phones, no google earth, No IHunt, No Apps. Sharing a coffee or a "wobbly pop" with like minded people, often after attending a wildlife club meeting was most helpful in finding your way to success.

I look at maps both paper and electronic. If available I read studies on the area and not just about game animals.After that I go scout it to see if I guessed right and sign means more then sightings

I don’t go chasing hot tips or where others hunted because overtime I found my best spots I found myself. They seem to hold more game and less pressure

In my opinion if you keep hearing about a good area to hunt it does not mean it’s good it means lots of people hunt there

Nothing and I mean nothing beats going out and checking out pockets firsthand. Don’t look at miles of land think smaller

The only resources I use online are GoogleMaps/earth and Imaps. I also have topo maps of the region and Backroads Mapbook. Mainly though I just spend a fair amount of time exploring/hiking in the summer and hunt areas I think are promising. A lot of hit and miss but no matter how it turns out I learn something new about the area and any day spent in the mountains is always good.

I would highly endorse the ihunter app. I us it for BC and Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I don’t go chasing hot tips or where others hunted because overtime I found my best spots I found myself. They seem to hold more game and less pressure

In my opinion if you keep hearing about a good area to hunt it does not mean it’s good it means lots of people hunt there
    my thoughts exactly, especially here on The Rock. I have a couple old timers that dont hunt anymore (for various reasons) i like to share wobbly pops with when i can, they have great advice and tips on general areas and what to look for. The problem i'm having is due to mundane responsibilities actually getting boots down doesnt happen enough.

This past weekend was different. Found a spot online i wanted to check out, so i took the sidekick (who's 5) out with me. he was super excited to go, though i'm sure it was just because he'd be going with his old man...pretty sure it doesnt matter what we're doing, if its just us he's thrilled. Anyway, on the way in we found a decent pile of bear scat on the road, not many people out in the area, and while hiking in and around the exact spot not only did we find a couple more piles but at one point the wind changed and i could smell the thing. not long after we came across another super fresh pile and a bedding spot. Even found some deer sign as well. the area is in an LEH zone for elk but no signs where we were. Got back down to the wagon and found several more piles of bear scat that werent there on the way in.
    Tons of scat, camping spot on a lake not far away, ungulate winter ranges close by, old growth management areas close by, on crown land, doesnt seem to be hit hard. 100% going back for bow season...just need to find them buglers before i put in for a tag.