Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest bear to date w/story and pics

Biggest bear to date w/story and pics

Hopefully this work but if not refer to my original thread:

Saturday afternoon I got home from spending time with my ladies with family time and I decided to go for a afternoon/evening hunt. I had the bike, rifle and pack loaded up and headed off to my property where I’m lucky to use and has access the backside of crown land.

I checked the one side out first that is located near a swamp and beaver dam. While walking up the old road, I heard some splashing. So I crouched down and waited with excitement and finally out comes a good size Beaver and he didn’t even see me 20 yards away.

After deciding it was just Beaver, I slowly walked away and while waking away I heard the sound of bigger splashing. It honestly sounded like a little kid that just got into the water and was playing around making noise. I said to myself I can’t see anything so I’m gonna stay put behind a down tree and beside animals use paths of least resistance it’s gonna swim right by me. 10 mins later it was a kid, a black furry little brat trying to find that beaver. So I never seen a bear swim before I gotta film this. Then I left him alone and walked away

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Biggest bear to date w/story and pics

It was starting to get cool around 7:00pm and still wanted to check the other side and couple clear cuts in the back so I took off with the bike to the other side but had to pass the farm first. As I was coming in, my friend stopped me and asked if I saw the big bear. I said I saw it last week but had my daughter with me and left it alone but didn’t see it today. He said it just left the corner of the field and walked towards the clear cut.

So I took the quad to the corner of the field, I walked the path the bear made for weeks going towards the clear cut but had to cross this little creek first. I noticed a off path he made with new down grass going into the creek. I put a round in the rifle and walked across the bridge my friend made. I guess because it was quiet, I was on the other side of the bridge and there he was in the creek 30 yards away broadside. No like I said WTF, put the scope on his shoulder and boom.

One big yelp, three full circles and he was off down the creek around the corner. At first shook my head because how do you track a bear that is bleeding down a creek that is moving.

So for you new guys that out there one advice I can give no mater what animal you hunt, after your shot and it runs you just stop and wait, and listen.

So I waited, I wanted to hear any sound of bear cry, branches breaking, or if he was gonna climb a tree. My experience with bears a lot of times the bear once hit hard will freak out and just make a mess in anger out of the area.

Let’s speed this story up because I can picture guys yawn now. Shot it at 730, took three of us guys to pull it up the bank plus the quad pulling the last 20 yards. We got the tractor to pick it up to put on the bike to head home. Nope too big and heavy will risk damage. Left the quad at his place. Got home around 10:30pm, done skinning around 1:30am. Was too heavy to hoist up so left it on a lumber tarp with two fans on it. Sprinkled vinegar and black pepper all over it to prevent flys. (Learned that trick when backpack hunting). Buddy came over and took some fat off it, I got it to the butcher the next day and just the carcass alone with trim fat and no hide weight was 221lbs. So all your bear hunter you know how much hide weighs sometimes plus head.

There you go, not much of a super hunt. I did some rough measurements that night but there not totally accurate. I didn’t tape it when the hide was on because time and heat was against me. But after skinned I put the tape on and it was 6’5. Keep in mind it wasn’t stretched. There you go anymore questions just ask