Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear Alaska Peninsula

Re: Brown Bear Alaska Peninsula

Holy that is cool! That thing is massive! Wow! Congrats must have been an adventure of a lifetime.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Well done.

Read that these guys are capable of killing 35+ moose, caribou calves per season.(not counting all of the others)

What rifle?
    How many shots?
    Did you stay in a tent? If yes did you have an electric fence.

Looking forwards to more detail & photos.

Again CONGRATS!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Wow.. that is a monster.. that makes my biggest bear look like a cuddly little teddy ! I dream of the day I get to do a similar hunt. Hopefully in the Yukon!

Can’t wait for the story.

Incredible bear!! Congratulations!! Looking forward to the story!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Well done.

Read that these guys are capable of killing 35+ moose, caribou calves per season.(not counting all of the others)

What rifle?
    How many shots?
    Did you stay in a tent? If yes did you have an electric fence.

Looking forwards to more detail & photos.

Again CONGRATS!
    Bear cubs too. I saw lots of caribou, there were no moose in the valley I hunted. The caribou group up and calf and my guide described it like the sea turtles getting eggs ate. Between the bears, wolves, and eagles.

300 weatherby - 200 grain partition
    4 shots- 1st one was a killer, but I emptied the gun
    Artic Oven 8x tent

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Wow.. that is a monster.. that makes my biggest bear look like a cuddly little teddy ! I dream of the day I get to do a similar hunt. Hopefully in the Yukon!
    Unless you are hunting with a relative, or doing a combo, or have an inside deal-- its the same price to go to Alaska for a brown bear, and theres a whole lot more bear

May 7
    -- I arrived late in anchorage for a charter flight the next morning

May 8
    -- caught a charter flight from anchorage out to Pilot Point and my outfitter picked me up and we flew into his lodge. Finished off some paperwork, met my guide, checked the rifle. The weather was decent so my outfitter wanted to get us out to the spike camp location on the pacific side of the peninsula. We loaded the 180 and took off. He had a 2nd location picked on the north side of the mountain range if we couldn't make it through the pass to the pacific. Clouds were low and it was raining hard but we made it through and landed on the beach.
    --Got the tent set up (8x Artic Oven) and got our gear organised, filled our water jugs from a spring, and went over our plan for the hunt. Season opened on the 10th
    --The valley I hunted run North-South, beach on the south end.

May 9
    --woke up and made a trail up the hill behind the tent. We made had a glassing spot about 200ft off the valley floor. The east side went all the way to 2500ft elevation with saddles around 1500ft. West side (at our back) was a rock face up to 500ft. -The north end tapered from the valley floor up to about 1000ft. There was a small stream in the valley bottom surrounded by beaver ponds, grass, alder and willow.
    --We glassed most of the day and at 8pm watched a boar come from the west side down to the beach and feed on kelp then move into the valley bottom at dark. He wad large enough to get after and not rubbed to bad. We were hoping he would be around tomorrow when the season opened!

May 10
    --got up to the glassing spot, it was windy and hailing. We found the boar from the night before and bout 500 yards from where we seen him last night. He was moving north in the valley bottom. We paralleled him and made a plan to cut him off in the bottom. It was hailing so hard we couldn't see through our bios and we had our hands over our face peaking through our fingers. We lost the bear in some brush and stayed put awhile. We realised we couldn't stay out in the weather and trying to ambush this boar maybe wasn't a smart idea considering the visibility and his cover. We headed for the tent to lick our wounds.
    --after a coffee and warming up we headed back out for the evening and did not see another bear

May 11 -14
    --- One day we saw 16 bears, one day 0, but the other days we averaged 2-3
    ---weather was anywhere from rain, hail, and snow, to sunny and warm.
    --- we saw shooter boars but they were way up high, dogging sows, or rubbed bad

Congratulations on a beauty. My rough estimate is that bear is 48 sq ft. Whola. Sure got the heart pumping seeing it doing it’s bear thing I bet. Waiting impatiently for the story. Lol. Congrats again.

On a camp check we learned from the outfitter that the day of the hail storm another camps tent was ripped apart by the wind. It had been blowing 60 mph.
    We would get up around 7am, eat breakfast, go sit up until noon, eat a quick lunch and glass again until 11pm. When we went for lunch we could eat and glass right from outside the tent.

May 15
    --Woke up to snow, a light dusting down low but a good covering from 1000ft and up. We seen a few sows and cubs early. One set came down to the beach to feed and moved back up high. It warmed up and at one point we were sitting in our long johns with our boots off, sunglasses on, and outer clothes hanging in the brush.
    --8pm a spotted a boar crossing the tidal flats about 500 yards off our beach, guide and I looked at each other and bailed down the hill. We were running through the grass and alders just off the beach to stay in cover. We waded the creek and came out on the west beach 300 yards from the bear. He had stopped to check the sow and cub tracks. We closed another 150 yards in the open and i stopped at a beach boulder to rest the gun on. The bear was quartering away and had his neck cranked back looking at us
    -- I shot him and he started to spin, fired again and his back end dropped, shot again and he dropped to his stomach with his head still up, I fired again and he dropped his head. I reloaded and the guide was whooping at me.
    -- We took a minute to catch our breathes and composure and then walked up to the bear who was stone cold dead

There was absolutely no ground shrinkage, it just kept getting bigger
    1st shot was heart, 2nd was through the back hip (recovered bullet), 3rd was front shoulder, 4th was lungs
    He died in the initial spot of my first shot, just spun around a few times
    Bear was 3/4 mile from our glassing location we covered almost all of it at a jog and barely caught up to this bear who was walking, Got lucky he stopped to checkout the sow/cub tracks
    Last edited by firebird; 05-23-2018 at 07:39 AM.