Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider a "High Quality " dog food?

Re: What do you consider a "High Quality " dog food?

I've tried Nutro, Ultra, and Acana on my 17 month old high energy griff in the past year. She did well on them but I think her poops were too large. I was feeding her any where from 2 3/4 -3+ cups just to maintain her 46 pounds. I switched to a Canadian product called Horizon Pulsar three bags ago. They source all their ingredients on site, they're all grain free, and they've never had a food recall. There are several meat choices,,,,I use the turkey formula but I think I'll switch to another meat choice on the next bag just for some variety. I buy the 25 pound bag at Buckerfields for $55 which is a better buy than the Acana, as well as others at Bosleys. My dog gets about 3 cups per day which is almost a cup higher than what is suggested on the bag for her weight but because of all the exercise she gets she maintains her athletic lean body on that amount. Crude protein is 28% and fat is 15%, approx. 400 calories per cup.

"Canadian Nuturals" Large Breed for my Lab. Compare ingredients online and stay away from grains. The price is good, bag is a bit heavier and they have the best customer loyalties plan we've found. Plus it's made locally. My Lab ate everything in his first year. Plastic, tinfoil, Styrofoam, shop rags etc.He almost died when he tore into a Rododenderm bush. He was down for 3 days. His name should have been "Lucky"
    Last edited by Black Lab; 06-15-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Our Breeder for the Elkhound we are waiting for does raw food. Lots of meat and fish with some veggies mixed in. He has a vid on youtube about how he makes it too.

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    Our Breeder for the Elkhound we are waiting for does raw food. Lots of meat and fish with some veggies mixed in. He has a vid on youtube about how he makes it too.
    Our two Tollers have been on Raw since birth.
    We've done everything from 100% home made to commercially produced.
    The old gal has lived well past her breed standards, although close to the end now and the younger guy has had zero health problems in his almost 9 years.
    Raw has gone from being something most Vets and Breeders frowned upon to a very accepted form of feeding.

Raw food. Meat, bones, vegetables and organ meat.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    What breeder is it?
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    . any way... go to Bosleys and find a decent food, talk to them.
    Please do NOT take this advice. PetValu is the parent company to Bosleys and I assure you they do NOT care to hire knowledgeable staff and they only care about their profits. I managed a Pet Valu for a few years and I ended up quitting on the spot when my regional manager told me straight up that I am to quit recommending the foods that I am (healthy GOOD dog foods) and only recommend one of the house brands, even if it isn't good for the dog. I was written up multiple times for suggesting brands like Merrick back country, NOW! And orijen/acsna only for the company to push perofrmatrin and ULTRA which are both terrible foods.

Go to mom and pop stores. Find people with true knowledge and avoid PetValu Bosleys, total pet and tisol like the plague. Pet valu owns them all and doesn't give a shit about you or your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Raw food. Meat, bones, vegetables and organ meat.
    You sure are correct. My German Shepherd has been on 100 percent raw since she was off the tit and every vet and person that sees her is beyond impressed with her coat, shine and WHITE teeth.

It's depressing to read what some people on this forum feed their dogs. But they are likely the same people stuffing McDonald's into their face thinking it's food...

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    What breeder is it?
    Kamia Kennels out of the Koots.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    You sure are correct. My German Shepherd has been on 100 percent raw since she was off the tit and every vet and person that sees her is beyond impressed with her coat, shine and WHITE teeth.

It's depressing to read what some people on this forum feed their dogs. But they are likely the same people stuffing McDonald's into their face thinking it's food...
    It took us awhile to find a Vet that would even consider Raw food. Sure has changed in the 15+ years.
    Last year we were in a local "Resort Town" and dropped into a small Pet Store looking for some interesting treats to take home to our mutts. Explained to the store owner that it needed to be low in protein due to our old gal's declining renal functions and her recovery from cancer surgery. The owner says "Is she eating Raw, every dog I know that eats Raw gets cancer." Pretty stupid thing to say to someone but we took the high road and said "Our dog has been on Raw since birth and is about 2 - 3 years older than her breed standard." She got pretty defensive and backed off. Not saying that Raw is for everyone but it's a viable option for many.