Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever action question for hbc

Lever action question for hbc

Hey guys just recently bought my first lever action it's a 1958 model 88 .308 lever action. My question is for when when you close the action for the day say after shooting or hunting...unlike a bolt action where you hold the trigger as you close the bolt so you don't have to dry fire...you can't really do this with the lever action so do you just leave it when you close the chamber..don't really want to be dry firing this rifle? Is it bad for anything leaving it "ready to fire" lol thanks in advance guys

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lever action question for hbc

The bolt face is spring loaded. Leave the action open, no problem.
    Nice rifle by the way.

Many levers have a hammer that you can release slowly with thumb.
    I believe yours is fine left open, as noted above
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Thanks..so if a guy wanted to have the bolt closed for long periods and didn't dry fire it is this gonna be stress on internals or the firing pin spring??? Read horror stories about dry firing these rifles and firing pins breaking. I understand what you guys are saying about having the action open but what about if it's in a gun case or youre hunting and don't have one chambered it's not gonna hurt anything to leave the rifle chambered I'll most likely will be spending a fair amount of time in the bush with this rifle over the years..leaving it cocked but not loaded isn't gonna have any harmful long term affects? I imagine it's already 60 years old it's pretty tough
    Last edited by .308SLAYER; 05-20-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    Thanks..so if a guy wanted to have the bolt closed for long periods and didn't dry fire it is this gonna be stress on internals or the firing pin spring??? Read horror stories about dry firing these rifles I have never made a habit of dry firing.
    Purchase snap cap if concerned, fire and leave I nside while rifle is stored.
    i know others that do same with shotgun.
    Cheers
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Just dry fire it. It's not a rim fire.

I've owned that same rifle, a 1963, for over 40 years.

I leave it cocked during the season as I use it. I dry fire it once at the end of the season to release the spring pressure for storage.

Buy a snap cap if you're worried about the firing pin shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Alrighty.. all she wrote thanks guys

A-Zoom makes excellent snap caps of aluminum and I have a spare in .308Win. PM me your contact info and I will mail it to you free as my Browning 7500 combo gun in 12 bore-.308 only uses one.

Great offer above
    Good on ya BgBlkDg
    Last edited by Blainer; 05-20-2018 at 06:39 PM.