Thread: Moose LEH timing choices?

Moose LEH timing choices?

What do you guys think of when choosing a Moose LEH time?

Sept. 10-30 or Oct. 1-14?

It would be nice to be among the first to be hunting moose for the season, but of course hunting the rut is important too.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose LEH timing choices?

If I could choose 5 days to hunt Bull moose it would be Sept 26 to Sept 30.

I'd also hunt the last week of Sept
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Shot all my moose first week of oct
    but more activity last week of sept imo

Hmmm doest matter does it..you can't hunt without a tag..3x the tags in sept..go late..sept 20...30..
    Look for areas that hold fog...
    Steven

Thank you gentlemen!

Done. LEH application in.

Not sure why I always struggle with this rut thing . I know when I was younger all the old timers would say it's not cold enough to trigger the rut but I don't think this holds water. My reading and research has pointed to the decrease in daylight that triggers the rut, it's also the only constant . I have never hunted moose at the end of September mostly it's been Thanksgiving in October and I have had bull moose come to me when cow calling . I am thinking of trying for the last week of September and the first week of October this year provided the LEH gods are with us. Thoughts ?

As Srupp says, "areas that hold fog" means nights are cooling-off to create fog.
    First day of Fall is September 21st. Fall equinox. Should see a shift in the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by New Bow Hunter View Post
    As Srupp says, "areas that hold fog" means nights are cooling-off to create fog.
    First day of Fall is September 21st. Fall equinox. Should see a shift in the weather.
    Hmm yes one reason..the other is areas that have fog..are areas that cold meets warm...= fog..= cold creek entering warmer lake =prime area for big bull moose.
    Good luck to all in the upcoming LEH DRAW. .
    Cheers
    Steven

I found hunting Northern BC that around the 18th of Sept on is good..You can call on the lake and they come running..Its the old adage the boys are ready but the girls arent..Towards the last week of Sept the bulls might be with a cow..They tend to stay with the cow and don't come in as readily as before the rut..Got my moose the first day for many years running.... early...Just my observation ....Oh and the rut is determined by the amount of daylight that triggers in their eyes.,.Phototropism I think its called...Dennis