Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Tension Release Recommendations

Back Tension Release Recommendations

Hi Guys,

Beginner archer here, been shooting for under a year. The primary goal is hunting but I'd like to shoot some 3D's as well. I've been using a wiseguy index finger release since I started shooting but I would like to transition to a back tension release to help my technique. I would also like to find a model that has a similar form factor available with a thumb release so that I could swap out for hunting season and keep the same form and peep height etc. What would you guys recommend? What are you using? Do you hunt with back tension or trigger?

Thx

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Back Tension Release Recommendations

Stan Perfex.

Has a back tension and thumb model, been using the tension one for 6 months or so, it's awesome, haven't tried the thumb, but thinking of picking one up in the next month or so.

Haven't hunted with it, most guys use a trigger, can't see why you couldn't use a back tension if you had a lot of time with it, just keep the safety on until you're ready, and go as normal.

They can be frustrating when you first pick them up, once you work through that stage they're pretty nice to shoot with.

I'll check that one out. Thanks for the feedback. The main argument that I have heard against back tension style releases for hunting is wind. Sometimes in hunting situtaions, you do need to punch the trigger or at least that's the argument I have seen made.

Yeah i could see that, you can force a shot with a back tension release too though, it's kind of against the point of it, but it's not like punching is ideal either.

Should note, if you have a bow with a sharp valley, it's going to be a lot harder to get used to, I think that's why a lot of them get negative reviews from people.

I bought the nock on “nock 2 it” thumb release. I tried about 10 others before trying it. Super happy with it. The nice thing is, their hinge, back tension and thumb release are all the same shape do it feels the same moving between them. I’ve been shooting it all summer and I definitely takes some getting used to. I recommend keeping the wrist lanyard on at first! And be prepared for a fat lip or two!

I bought the nock on “nock 2 it” thumb release. I tried about 10 others before trying it. Super happy with it. The nice thing is, their hinge, back tension and thumb release are all the same shape do it feels the same moving between them. I’ve been shooting it all summer and I definitely takes some getting used to. I recommend keeping the wrist lanyard on at first! And be prepared for a fat lip or two!

X2
    check out the nock 2 it and silverback

The nock on Silverback is a deliberate "back tension trainer". Designed to help cure Target panic and get you into using back tension. Then the 2 smooth is the upgrade you would go to but lots of people really like the nock 2 it thumb trigger and using it as a back tension.

I use the Too Simple, basically the nock2it but with 3 fingers instead of 2...

Never shot a wrist rocket and quite frankly have no idea what 'target panic' is. I never had the opportunity to 'punch' a trigger

The trick is just let that pin float over the target and don't stress about it, just pull through the shot and be ok with pin float. The worst thing you can do is try and time when the pin is going to move over the target and punch as the pin moves over it. Same thing can be said for shooting a rifle offhand...

Check out the Scott Longhorn, I've used one for years, it's a hybrid of sorts. Edit, target panic, and flinches are real and they suck. I used the Longhorn to cure that problem. You can flip the moon so it has a clicker, or not. I use the click, then I know I'm on the edge of the sear, at that point you can use your fingers or shoulder. These make calipers seem pretty primitive in my opinion.
    Last edited by center color; 11-06-2019 at 10:27 PM.