Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

Re: Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

Why would a taxidermists sell a hide or cape that you as the customer are already gonna pay for?

Nice elk CM. I can see why you'd be a little upset. I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure that the taxidermist nor the tanner tried to screw you and some how some way something effed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwestalta View Post
    Why would a taxidermists sell a hide or cape that you as the customer are already gonna pay for?

Nice elk CM. I can see why you'd be a little upset. I'm gonna go out on a limb and figure that the taxidermist nor the tanner tried to screw you and some how some way something effed up.
    I wasn't there..
    Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 05-17-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    I wasn't there..
    Steven
    I realize this but is there a big market for selling someone else’s cape or hide? I don’t know so I’m serious in asking.

Hmmm some capes.ie dall sheep or stone sheep are upwards of $1,000
    Elk are farmed so the costs one would expect would be lower..but thinking $500 for prime cape, large sized properly cared for..
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm some capes.ie dall sheep or stone sheep are upwards of $1,000
    Elk are farmed so the costs one would expect would be lower..but thinking $500 for prime cape, large sized properly cared for..
    Srupp
    So the taxidermist would make more money selling a cape for a elk rather than doing the taxidermy job that he was hired for? Doesn’t make sense to me but I suppose stranger things have happened. Maybe I’m a little naive in the shadiest part of taxidermy.

Its clear you need to pack salt and do your own caping. Its easy with practice. Videos, a local taxidermist and work on a deer first. Learn to do this including the ears, lips, nose, and hide. A big elk you need ten pounds. The new knives with replaceable blades are great. We dry the cape after a day salted, roll hide-in, then bag in an onion bag first, then a game bag. Freeze at home, your cape will be perfect!

That’s a beauty elk, one day you’ll come across another and have an awesome mount .. thanks for putting some pics up .