So as the subject stated, I have lost an elk cape. I harvested a bull on a cool overcast day with on and off light drizzle. We had the bull gutted in under 45 minuets and skinned out within 4 hours, the head was to the taxidermist within 11 hours. I contacted the taxidermist today to see if he had gotten it back from the tannery. He informed me the cape had slipped and didn’t know why. He did not blame me at all. He remembered me bringing it too him to ensure the cape would be good. He also remembered telling me the cape would be fine as I’m always concerned about slippage. He said he cooled it down properly before freezing.

So none of the above really matters now. He is a reputable taxidermist located in my home province of Saskatchewan Canada. What is normal protocol? Too bad for me? He supplies a new cape? He supplies a cape of the same size? I never took any measurements, but the hanging wait at the butcher was 816lbs so a dam big elk. Or does he supply a similar cape and more?

I’m gutted the cape is nearly just as important to me as the antlers are. I would never opt for a donor cape if I didn’t have too. I’m so glad I took the head home and euro mounted it my self as I’m not even sure if I want to do a shoulder mount now.

I’m not happy about the cape slipping, but do understand that sometimes things happen. The one thing that adds to my extreme disappointment and anger is that I had contacted him a month ago via messenger asking about my cape. He saw that message but did not respond. Then I text him today and found this all out. If he would have contacted me in January or whenever he found out I probably wouldn’t be so upset.

Regards
A frustrated and disappointed Canadian Mulie