Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

Re: Elk cape lost in care of taxidermist, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by bwhnter View Post
    As a taxidermy I feel I need to add my 2 cents. First off, do your research BEFORE taking your hard earned animals to a taxidermist. If you have done that and lose a cape maybe trust what you were told. I have had animals brought in and was told "I took REALLY good care of it" I do my thing and send it out to the tannery and I get a phone call from the tannery that it has slipped. These calls suck and I calling the customer about it is worse. The question is always how and why this happened. As a professional I take pride in my work and have skinned all night because customers have held onto their animals too long. I trust that what the customer tells me is the truth but if it still slipped how does it become the taxidermists fault? I have had bears slip because they were rolled up and put i the freezer with out cooling first ( it takes a long time for the inside to cool and freeze when rolled up. Especially of the head and paws are left in and rolled inside the hide) I have had a goat hide that was carried for two days up against a hunters back in his pack slip and until he admitted to that it was my fault. There is always a chance that it will happen and any good taxidermists will do EVERYTHING he can to keep you capes and hides perfect.

As far as asking for it back, if the tannery calls me and says it has slipped I get them to send me pictures. I don't get it shipped back because I feel it is ridicules to pay to have a worthless hide ship.

As far as hides and capes being sold .... hard to believe. If you trust him at the start of the transaction why all of a sudden to you not accept what he has told you. Unless you have some evidence to the contrary. When you assume......

Too many people look for the best "deal" when getting their animals mounted. Take your trophies to a professional taxidermists that you TRUST. Then if the unfortunate happens rely on that trust and work WITH them to come to a conclusion that works for both parties. As some one that relies on word of mouth as my # 1 way of advertising I understand that 1 unsatisfied customer can to more harm with one post on the internet than a dozen happy customers telling their buddies.
    I too think this is good info. Something for eveeryone to read - before they get that thophy that they may have mounted. Another thing is to learn how to cape and take care of it properly before shooting that big animal.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

As a taxidermy I feel I need to add my 2 cents. First off, do your research BEFORE taking your hard earned animals to a taxidermist. If you have done that and lose a cape maybe trust what you were told. I have had animals brought in and was told "I took REALLY good care of it" I do my thing and send it out to the tannery and I get a phone call from the tannery that it has slipped. These calls suck and I calling the customer about it is worse. The question is always how and why this happened. As a professional I take pride in my work and have skinned all night because customers have held onto their animals too long. I trust that what the customer tells me is the truth but if it still slipped how does it become the taxidermists fault? I have had bears slip because they were rolled up and put i the freezer with out cooling first ( it takes a long time for the inside to cool and freeze when rolled up. Especially of the head and paws are left in and rolled inside the hide) I have had a goat hide that was carried for two days up against a hunters back in his pack slip and until he admitted to that it was my fault. There is always a chance that it will happen and any good taxidermists will do EVERYTHING he can to keep you capes and hides perfect.

As far as asking for it back, if the tannery calls me and says it has slipped I get them to send me pictures. I don't get it shipped back because I feel it is ridicules to pay to have a worthless hide ship.

As far as hides and capes being sold .... hard to believe. If you trust him at the start of the transaction why all of a sudden to you not accept what he has told you. Unless you have some evidence to the contrary. When you assume......

Too many people look for the best "deal" when getting their animals mounted. Take your trophies to a professional taxidermists that you TRUST. Then if the unfortunate happens rely on that trust and work WITH them to come to a conclusion that works for both parties. As some one that relies on word of mouth as my # 1 way of advertising I understand that 1 unsatisfied customer can to more harm with one post on the internet than a dozen happy customers telling their buddies.

Well I did do everything that you suggested. First researched, he had mounted one mule deer for me turned out great. He is not the most expensive in Sask but he is definitely not the cheapest. He quoted me $1850 for a shoulder mount. I get the hide cooled as quick as I could, I called him many times till I get ahold of him because I wanted to get it to a taxidermist asap. As soon as he said he would be around I pointed my truck his way and drove around an hour to get to him. I’ve always been concerned with slippage and even asked him am I going to have any troubles? He assured me I wouldn’t as I had gotten it to him so fast. And the selling bit about hides. Why would you not tell the client and then ignore his message specifically asking about the cape in question? I get that shit happens but that last point he F@($ed up there.

CM
    Would love to be someone’s packhorse on a goat hunt.

So you contacted him a month ago and maybe he called the tannery and it took time to figure it out. Let's be honest no one likes to make phone calls with bad news so he may have procrastinated a bit.

As far as the norm on this bad situation, there is no protocol. I am sure he could find you a cape that is similar and the mount will look good. Only you will know it is not your cape.

What I guess you need to decide is how the bull that you worked so hard for is to be displayed. If you are fine with a European mount great. If you want to have a beautiful shoulder mount on the wall, sit down with him and have a conversation. Perhaps inquire about a discount. Have an idea about what you would like to see but take his point of view into consideration. He is trying to make a living and perhaps he did everything right and the tannery screwed up on their pickle or they shaved it too much. Not his fault but now it is up to him to try and make the best out of a bad situation and odds are he will come out short $$ in the end.

If you are planning on taking your antlers with you when you move make sure to inquire about the proper permits and regulations that are required to import them.

Hopefully it turns out. It sucks all around.

Damn it .... sounds like a nice elk .... any pics of this beast.

So you contacted him a month ago and maybe he called the tannery and it took time to figure it out. Let's be honest no one likes to make phone calls with bad news so he may have procrastinated a bit.

As far as the norm on this bad situation, there is no protocol. I am sure he could find you a cape that is similar and the mount will look good. Only you will know it is not your cape.

What I guess you need to decide is how the bull that you worked so hard for is to be displayed. If you are fine with a European mount great. If you want to have a beautiful shoulder mount on the wall, sit down with him and have a conversation. Perhaps inquire about a discount. Have an idea about what youhwould like to see but take his point of view into consideration. He is trying to make a living and perhaps he did everything right and the tannery screwed up on their pickle or they shaved it too much. Not his fault but now it is up to him to try and make the best out of a bad situation and odds are he will come out short $$ in the end.

If you are planning on taking your antlers with you when you move make sure to inquire about the proper permits and regulations that are required to import them.

Hopefully it turns out. It sucks all around.
    Well if he or any other taxidermist for that matter delays letting a client know that their cape was wrecked expect for there to be some doubt towards their integrity at the least.

Yes it took me 6 months to decide if I would shoulder mount or just euro. I knew the cape was beautiful and that if I didn’t mount someone would be pleased to have it on their mount. Now I have to go through the whole process again. The hunt was not what I wished it to be, it ended up being exactly what I didn’t want, but the circumstances left me with no option and even up to now it has just gotten worse and worse. So with no original cape and a poor hunt, weighed up against my possible only good bull elk it’s going to be hard to decide.
    It may be the tannery’s falt I do realise this but if he is going to hold his work and business with the top taxidermists he needs to follow suit and be like the top taxidermists and ensure that everything in his power will be done to prevent this kind of thing from happening. If that means tanning all of his own stuff well that’s what it takes. But if he can’t do that don’t compare yourself with a world champion taxidermists.

I’m well aware of all of the working with moving to Oz. I’ve been hopping back and forth for over a decade. But thanks for the heads up. If I wasn’t aware I’d be in for a huge shock, lol.

CM
    Last edited by CanadianMulie; 05-16-2018 at 07:44 PM.

I never got great photos. It was one of many things that made this hunt one to remember but not for the better. I'm not sure how but my camera setting got set to the absolute lowest quality. I only took 3 photos with my phone. One of which is the top photo. I have learnt a lot from this hunt, and am still learning from it. I started writing a story for it once I found my cape had slipped. The hunt was so unimpressive I had no motivation to write about it. I write a story for every successful hunt.

CM

shot a hog of a bear..gave hide to freinds..they took to taxi...taxi said he would dispose..hmmm

i said bring back to me i will dispose..he said allrrady thrown out...hmmhide was scraped salted 3 hours afyer kill...wonder what he got for it.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    shot a hog of a bear..gave hide to freinds..they took to taxi...taxi said he would dispose..hmmm

i said bring back to me i will dispose..he said allrrady thrown out...hmmhide was scraped salted 3 hours afyer kill...wonder what he got for it.
    That is terrible.

once in Oz, go to kiwi land...shoot a red stag and use that to mount your elk antlers...telling people about your "franken-stag" will keep you laughing the rest of your life....what percent of peeps would even notice...heheheheh

Hmmm your bear was like mine..most likely sold.
    Your elk is 100 % worthy of full shoulder mount..beauty.congrads.
    Steven