Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

I can't seem to find anything about the allowable distance to hunt or discharge a firearm in relation to the BC/US Border. Out of common sense I wouldn't discharge anywhere near the border crossings but what about up in the mountains near the boarderline - is there a Law or Regulation regarding this?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

Don't hop the fence.

I've always wondered what would happen if you shot a critter and it ran across and died on the other side of the line but I've never wondered about shooting near the border.

I can't recall any reg that would indicate that shooting near the border was any different than shooting in the middle of the province.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Arrow Re: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I've always wondered what would happen if you shot a critter and it ran across and died on the other side of the line ...
    Well, I can tell you about one such occurrence...

I was hunting antelope with Pa, my Brother, another Buddy, and the local Rancher.
    We had wandered down early, so knew of three rather fine bucks to target on.
    Come opening day, two of the three went off with nothing unusual involved.
    I was up for number three.
    We located him around 250 yards from the border (southern Saskatchewan / Montana) but nearly 1200 yards from us.
    I put a fairly long stalk on him and closed to a comfortable 300 yards.
    At that point he was less than 50 yards from the Medicine Line.
    Took the shot, tossed a few "feathers" out behind him, and he was off like a shot!

He made it about 75 yards into Montana before piling up.
    I simply hopped the double fence, and drug him back into Saskabush to dress him.
    Left a white stripe of hollow hair most of that drag...

Within minutes, we heard a helicopter approaching.
    And shortly after that we saw it coming along that fence line.
    When they got to the white stripe, they immediately sheered over us, and then landed a short distance off.
    Pilot, US Customs, US Fed F&W and a Saskatchewan CO onboard.

VERY good thing for the feathers marking the hit, and the blood that was there and sporadically in-between that spot and the fence!!
    Without being able to point directly at that, I am 100% positive our day would have gone a lot differently than it did.

Still to this day I marvel at just how quickly they showed up...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

That’s a great story!

We shoot waterfowl within a few hundred yards of the Medicine Line often. Never a problem from either side.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Well, I can tell you about one such occurrence...

I was hunting antelope with Pa, my Brother, another Buddy, and the local Rancher.
    We had wandered down early, so knew of three rather fine bucks to target on.
    Come opening day, two of the three went off with nothing unusual involved.
    I was up for number three.
    We located him around 250 yards from the border (southern Saskatchewan / Montana) but nearly 1200 yards from us.
    I put a fairly long stalk on him and closed to a comfortable 300 yards.
    At that point he was less than 50 yards from the Medicine Line.
    Took the shot, tossed a few "feathers" out behind him, and he was off like a shot!

He made it about 75 yards into Montana before piling up.
    I simply hopped the double fence, and drug him back into Saskabush to dress him.
    Left a white stripe of hollow hair most of that drag...

Within minutes, we heard a helicopter approaching.
    And shortly after that we saw it coming along that fence line.
    When they got to the white stripe, they immediately sheered over us, and then landed a short distance off.
    Pilot, US Customs, US Fed F&W and a Saskatchewan CO onboard.

VERY good thing for the feathers marking the hit, and the blood that was there and sporadically in-between that spot and the fence!!
    Without being able to point directly at that, I am 100% positive our day would have gone a lot differently than it did.

Still to this day I marvel at just how quickly they showed up...

Cheers,
    Nog
    One might think you were eye balled prior to the shooting

Grew up close to the border, have heard lots of stories of guys finding black boxes. Thinking nothing of it throw it in the truck only to have to people show up shortly after to retrieve it. Not sure if this technology would still be in use though.

With border security the way it is now, I suspect keeping away from the borderline would be a good idea when hunting. That borderline cut seems like an attractive place to sit though. If I had one hop the fence after being shot sadly I would call that one lost - retrieval would not be an option. I not going to risk jail, fine and no future admittance into the US over a deer. It would be a big disappointment for sure but I'm not risking it.

Arrow Re: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    ... If I had one hop the fence after being shot sadly I would call that one lost - retrieval would not be an option. I not going to risk jail, fine and no future admittance into the US over a deer. It would be a big disappointment for sure but I'm not risking it.
    Never happen on my watch. You shot it, you make every possible effort to retrieve it.

In the case I cited above, it very much helped that I was a Dual Citizen at the time (as was Pa & my Brother), and I did not pack a firearm over the line. Even so, I could have easily been charged with Illegal Entry.
    However the Fed US F&W Officer ruled the day, and suggested that the retrieval was "the right thing to do".
    Not sure just how that might fly today...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me