Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Elephant Hill Fire Area closed to all motorized vehicles

Re: Elephant Hill Fire Area closed to all motorized vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    The closure is NEVER going away ! Already a NEW extension added on ! RJ
    I have a funny feeling you are absolutely right on this one
    once it's in place it's going to be real hard to get it removed

I always wanted to see the atv/orv's with license plates, I have to admit.
    Helps when reporting people "breaking the law".

But with that in mind, they should allow the atv/orv's to travel on the same roads as a vehicle, imo.
    Even up there.
    But then there are some roads, due to deactivation or just large drainage ditches, that trucks cant get thru, but quads etc can.

I guess that's the main problem here to address.
    sadly many do not comply, or push it.
    Seen that again this season up there, and it always makes me shake my head.
    It those people who ruin it for everyone else who does comply.

And yes, I don't see it being taken off for atleast 10, if not 15 years.
    And yes, once something gets restricted, it seems it never gets lifted when problems are corrected.
    I think they could address this differently however, imo.

^^^^You only have to look at the Skull Mountain area for a glimpse at the future for this area! K

You all are worried about access. What I have seen up there this year, you all should be worried about wolves and coyotes. The ungulate numbers are going to take a serious drop this winter. There is no cover anymore up there due to the Pine beetle salvage harvest and the Ashcroft fire. In my opinion the succession process is a years away from providing enough winter food to sustain the wintering grounds that all the ungulates have traditionally migrated too. The road systems whether deactivated or not are dog super highways and the massive clear cuts are just big fields for the dogs to run the ungulates to exhaustion. You should all do the Moose and Deer a favor and take a predator hunting trip somewhere this winter and/or support a trapper in the areas you like to hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by sakohunter View Post
    You all are worried about access. What I have seen up there this year, you all should be worried about wolves and coyotes. The ungulate numbers are going to take a serious drop this winter. There is no cover anymore up there due to the Pine beetle salvage harvest and the Ashcroft fire. In my opinion the succession process is a years away from providing enough winter food to sustain the wintering grounds that all the ungulates have traditionally migrated too. The road systems whether deactivated or not are dog super highways and the massive clear cuts are just big fields for the dogs to run the ungulates to exhaustion. You should all do the Moose and Deer a favor and take a predator hunting trip somewhere this winter and/or support a trapper in the areas you like to hunt.
    Absolutely, there are more issues in the area then just "access"
    Wolves and a free for all logging has definitely made an impact on the area for sure!!
    And now there is tape up to remove some of that low lying winter range timber as well.
    That fire wont make a difference in that area if you take into account all the human activity the past 15 to 20 years.
    It shows and the wolves wont help it.
    Also a lot more cats (cougars) in the area, and they are damn efficient hunters.
    Lots of work ahead of us.
    Try to get out there and take some Preds for sure.
    If not, try to help out the Trappers, like ProGuide suggested.
    Those are the only ways right now that ensures us some decent hunting opportunities in the area.
    Otherwise, kiss that area good bye for 15+ years.