Thread: MacKenzie Hunting

MacKenzie Hunting

What's going on up in Mackenzie? Last May I was up there with my hunting buddies and we all cut our tags. We saw maybe a couple of other hunting groups over 3 days. This past weekend it seemed like there were hunters all over, and the few bears we saw were really spooked. It was like hunting in the LML.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: MacKenzie Hunting

Weird. Guess that's just how it goes some Hunts! I can't genuinely answer your question though, having not having had Hunted the area just yet, myself.

Perhaps somebody will post up with a local perspective on the matter.

Bears were moving better by this time last 2 springs in Northern BC. As for hunter numbers this years later green up could be preventing everyone from spreading out more as well. Might just be more hunters exploring this spring as well

My spots were not ready 6 days ago and very little sign

I spoke to my brother in Prince George yesterday and he said he cut the grass for the first time this year. He said it was two weeks earlier than last year. So maybe more hunters getting out exploring early.

It was a long winter. Everybody is just itching to get out and enjoy this awesome weather we’re having before the bugs get too bad. It’ll slow down

Power of the Web. Maybe. Everyone that talks about cutting tags easy and not seeing traffic is having more efect these days than the days of the telephone.
    not saying this is the case here but ............
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Wait 2 weeks for Mackenzie. Still brown I was there sat. But I did see 7 bears from pg to Mackenzie on the highway. 3 were grizzly sow and cubs.

Bears are just starting to get active in certain areas here in pg. could have shot 2 yesterday but I’m holding out for mr big

could it have something to do with the fires in the Caribou region? Everyone coming up from there?

My son works in the Forestry Industry in the MacKenzie area and spends some time in the woods around there. Saw a total of 27 Bears in two days last week.
    Didn't mention any hunters though. He was probably a little farther up the lake than your average hunter would travel also. Didn't mention how many were
    Grizzlys either, Mom doesn't want to hear about that kind of news.

Betting a little early was the issue had a similar snow pack in my area and bears really just started moving a few days ago. Before that just the odd one but now they are easy to find

Timing is king when it comes to spring bear