Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Re: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

This thread is about shooting moose, do I need to send two of you to your corners?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

OP here. I had a split second to decide whether to take this shot on a cow moose during an LEH hunt some years ago as I suddenly saw it but it had been watching me already so I did, aimed smack-dab for the middle of the brisket at about 80 yards and shot. The moose turned side on to me at the shot and for a moment I thought I had missed or shot too far right or left and only got a shoulder, then suddenly all I saw was four hooves flailing in the air.

Never did find the bullet, a 150 grain Hornady Interlock out of a 270. I think it deflected upward and struck the spine after going through the lungs. I was really lucky it didn't go straight through the parts of the stomach and continue into a hindquarter.

I think the problem here is the title...
    " moose of a life time "
    Not meat bull.... of course you wait for a better shot on a 30" bull

"Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well?"

Not with mine. Hit the heart, I'm sure (couldn't find it, anyway) but I don't know where the bullet went. Maybe deflected into spine, or out the side. My first moose, so...but I'll tell you what - the guys were intact. No punctures, rips or tears. To be honest I was so excited I never looked for the bullet. Nowadays I always seem to find either the bullet or the exit, but not that time. Would have been a .308, but I have no idea what weight.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well?"

Not with mine. Hit the heart, I'm sure (couldn't find it, anyway) but I don't know where the bullet went. Maybe deflected into spine, or out the side. My first moose, so...but I'll tell you what - the guys were intact. No punctures, rips or tears. To be honest I was so excited I never looked for the bullet. Nowadays I always seem to find either the bullet or the exit, but not that time. Would have been a .308, but I have no idea what weight.
    365 yards straight on, had a good rest, bang stumbled for 10-15 yards flop, bled out on the spot could not believe the amount of blood. As for the guts intact and like you never really paid attention after that as i had a lot of work ahead of me Oh and shooting xbolt 7mm rem mag, barnes ttsx 150 gr, 3040 fps handload
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I'd keep calling and wait for a better shot. 200 yards isn't a challenging shot, I just think about the couple feed bags I've been around that have been busted open.

That being said, if it was the last day of a ten day hunt and no animals hanging in the tree I'd probably be tempted to take the shot. You don't really know what you'll do until you're presented with the problem.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Buddy took this shot on a deer. Unzipped it from brisket to a$$H0le. Quite possibly the most horrible death I have ever witnessed, but for different reasons...Field dressing was a breeze though.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Back in the day before all the trendy shooting sticks etc most shots were "off handed". Trouble is now people go to the range and shoot off the bench all the time. you need to spend time practicing real world shots standing kneeling etc. There are never any bench rests around when I find game but maybe I'm just unlucky in that regard.
    I couldn't agree more. I have seen some of the "old timers" pull of some amazing shots off handed anyone who doesn't believe that is either totally closed minded or hasn't bee around many competent shooters. Know your rifle know your abilities and practice and take the shot.