Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Re: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    If his head is up, or you are at a lower elevation, aim for the neck below his chin.....

not wise to try that as a free standing shot though....
    Back in the day before all the trendy shooting sticks etc most shots were "off handed". Trouble is now people go to the range and shoot off the bench all the time. you need to spend time practicing real world shots standing kneeling etc. There are never any bench rests around when I find game but maybe I'm just unlucky in that regard.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Back in the day before all the trendy shooting sticks etc most shots were "off handed". Trouble is now people go to the range and shoot off the bench all the time. you need to spend time practicing real world shots standing kneeling etc. There are never any bench rests around when I find game but maybe I'm just unlucky in that regard.
    You and me both. All my practice is standing, still a tough shot at 200. If I can kneel things settle down a lot. I would take a head on shot @200, partly because I’ve moved up to 338 and 375 from 30-06 2 yrs ago. 200 with a decent bullet and any kind of support to steady the shot isn’t bad. I would aim high center chest.

At 200 yrds, the hunt has just started. So in answer to the OP. No I would not shoot. I'd start hunting him. Under 20 yrds for the kill. Broadside.

I have made that exact shot numerous times, with a good rest and a shot placed where the horns meet the head and it's back strap, bacon and onions time.
    Take the shot..........................

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    200 yards ? and he came on the call ? The fun is just beginning!!!!

Patience Grasshopper

This is why I usually hunt with a bow!

Actually, I hunt moose with a rifle because the odds of getting one within in 200 yards is so much greater and with the expense, time and effort to get off the rock and drive all the way to moose country I like getting one on the ground! When my partner and I have a tag each we both hunt with rifles until one moose is on the ground and then the lucky guy that didn't get the rifle kill gets to hunt with the bow for the rest of the trip.

But to answer the question, yes I would take the shot if I had a good stable rest to shoot from that is. My last moose was looking straight at me at 30 yards... poked him right in the eye, bang flop!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Hmm last 4 bull moose..
    45 yards broadside.
    130 yards broad side
    100 yards head on
    25 yards broadside
    Srr

"You know from experience that if he is turning to show you his side, the next next thing you will see (and in a big hurry) is his back end."

"200 yards ? and he came on the call ? The fun is just beginning!!!!"

That's what I say, but it depends, of course, on where you're situated, what the wind is doing, etc. They will come closer. If you've got a shed hanging around, even better. Waggle that out in front of a tree and there's a good chance he'll decide you're a moose and get less careful.

To your question - at 200 yds it depends how good a shot you are. I shot my first moose in the center of the chest, offhand, open sights, from a canoe....but probably under 100 yards. Bang flop. No follow up needed.

I'd consider the front on shot tough simply because there isn't much room for error right or left.

Also tougher if you're alone. If you've got a partner you can move a bit away, keep your partner stashed and the bull can concentrate on you (thinking you're a moose) until your partner can ambush him broadside. Again, depends on terrain, etc, but that's what we did with my wife's first bull. I backed up and down into the creek to pull the bull out into the meadow. He probably never even thought about my wife being off to his right.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Took one right between the lookers at about 175 yards. He dropped so fast I didn't have time to reload for a follow up. Depends on how much you shoot and how much faith you have in your gun and your ability.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

Nope, wouldn't take the shot personally.

I love the comments about offhand shooting lol
    Some real cowboys in here, I'd lay money 90% of guys couldn't hit paper offhand at 100 yards with any kind of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Nope, wouldn't take the shot personally.

I love the comments about offhand shooting lol
    Some real cowboys in here, I'd lay money 90% of guys couldn't hit paper offhand at 100 yards with any kind of consistency.
    I've always gotten a kick out of off hand shooting claim to fames. Most hunters don't shoot enough period. That includes me the last few years. I'm coming on to 60. I used to load a lot of rounds and punched a lot of holes, not so much now but nothing to boost your confidence by a lot of shooting.