Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Killed a whitetail like that in 2009. Frontal shot, blew the valves off the heart, found the bullet in the pelvis. 300 win mag, 168 TTSX, about 100yrd shot. I have also shot a few antlerless elk in the head over the years, some with a 270 win, some with a 375 H&H, all have dropped instantly. All about the place and time for the shot, and the shooters confidence/abilities! I do like my broadside heart and lung, or spine shots though! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Took that shot freehand at 200 yards once. moose turned sideways after shot,second shot down he went.you can,t eat em if you don,t get a shot off.

One time I was presented with a similar situation. A moose standing across a slew in reed grass, not a moose of a life time , but a good 5x5. He is looking straight at us at 250 yards, my partner said wait until he turns, I say no guarantee he will drop at the shot. ( we would have to back to camp for the canoe to retrieve him anyway and I didn't want him wandering into the bush).

So, offhand frontal shot, aimed just under the nose and the bullet landed mid chest, he turned and dropped.

35 Whelen with a 250gn Barnes FXB, bullet was under the hide at the rear.
    A 30-06 would have had the same result with a good bullet.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Personally I would find a smaller 2 year old bull. But yea sternum shot will work

I’d leave him. All the big bulls I’ve eaten have been tougher than leather.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

as i walked the cutline in the fading light in the rain on the last day of our drip a herd of elk quickly crossed the cutline 600 yards infront of me..by time i got down there in the dim light at 220yds the elk stood there like a ghost in the shadows.
    i laid my pack down for a rest and put the crosshairs dead center where the choclate meets the tan.
    as i touched off the shot there was a expolsion of steaming blood came from the animals mouth as it dropped dead on impact... 338 250 graim accoubond with 72 grains of reloader 19. 220 yds head on.
    and i had my secound elk.

are you the type of shooter that maybe checks his gun before hunting season to ensure its sighted in and thats the only time you really shoot, or are you the type of guy that goes to the range once a month and is very comfortable with pulling the trigger? If it was my dad in that situation I wouldn't let him shoot, but I have taken that shot at 350 yards and been successful. I had to resetup 3 times to get the right rest where I was completely rock solid, but I also am very comfortable with my equipment and shoot a lot. Needless to say I have that bulls antlers...so ya I would easily shoot at 200 yards
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

200 yards ? and he came on the call ? The fun is just beginning!!!!

Patience Grasshopper
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

darksith and boxhitch have good points...

I find that moose don't run off once they are hit ... they will stand there and try to figure out what's wrong. Then you can hit it again.