Thread: Big Bad Bear

Talking Big Bad Bear

Last year I was on a quest for a big bear, passing on a number of bears I ended up learning the truth behind, "if you wouldn't pass it up on your last day don't pass it up on your first day." In the end, I felt like I blew it and didn't have a spring bear. This year I wasn't going to have that happen so I took a smaller color phase early on, and have since then set the second tag aside to hopefully find a brute of bear. I went out Monday and just came back yesterday and saw 6 shooters (2+ years), but nothing over 5 ft 5". I know there are some very good bear hunters on here who have no problems passing on smaller bears to find 6' bears, and other than "right place right time," I would love to hear some strategies. There is still time this season and I hope to find one! Also, I hunt region 2/3, mostly 3, and I know I could go to the coast or further north but that's besides the point. There are big bears everywhere, I put the miles on my boots and hike in scouting to some horrendous places and I'd like to learn to be better at hunting them and not just be lucky to come across one eventually or find myself driving hours on end just to bag a big bear.

Easier to find them early one when things are first greening up and they are starving? Or do you wait until later in the season for full rut?
    Where do you focus on terms of altitude, where the grass greens up first or do you stay higher up until later spring? Or do you hunt at different altitudes depending on when the hunt is between May-June. I've read they drop towards lower altitude later on to be where the deer/moose are going to drop their calves/fawns but have also read they may be anywhere at any time during the rut in the wide open.
    When I come across consistent sow/cub scat combo I usually move-on thinking she wouldn't keep her cubs around a big boar.
    I usually have the best luck mid morning, not sure if this is the same for big boars.

Thoughts on big bears would be appreciated? Cheers
    Last edited by hparrott; 05-25-2018 at 08:16 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Big Bad Bear

Genetics in the area you are hunting is huge some areas just produce a larger average size to start with

Feed quality in the area is huge

Big bears take time to grow so target low pressure areas

The rut to me is the best because like every other animal it causes big boars to come out of hiding

I change elevation according to feed

Thick areas near water with small feeding areas are better then wide open places

Yes big bears can be found anywhere but location is king some places just don’t produce many big bears well other areas big bears are not too hard to find

DONT hunt popular bear locations if size is your goal

Most people don’t realize there is multiple sub species of black bear in BC and the have different physical traits research this

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Genetics in the area you are hunting is huge some areas just produce a larger average size to start with

Feed quality in the area is huge

Big bears take time to grow so target low pressure areas

The rut to me is the best because like every other animal it causes big boars to come out of hiding

I change elevation according to feed

Thick areas near water with small feeding areas are better then wide open places

Yes big bears can be found anywhere but location is king some places just don’t produce many big bears well other areas big bears are not too hard to find

DONT hunt popular bear locations if size is your goal
    Everything that Wild one said. All excellent advice!

I always saw more bears in the evening up Hazelton way. Like 10 times more. Belly deep in good grass at dusk.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I always saw more bears in the evening up Hazelton way. Like 10 times more. Belly deep in good grass at dusk.
    Evening is often best but I have watched a lot of bears go down mid day even. Locations like the Hazelton area it is pretty common see bears and even big bears all day. It may not be the same numbers as evening but still well worth it

I was involved in 7 bear kills last year all were taken between 1pm-3pm except for one bear taken at 8pm. This year so far I have been involved in one bear kill at 4pm. No doubt I see more bears in the evening but in the correct areas it is crazy to ignore the rest of the day

Best time is when you see them is my opinion lol