Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Re: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

My biggest bull was shot just in this manor face to face on a cutline ,2 in the forehead and down he went asz first
    Shot another large bull faceing us thru the front briscuit bullet nicked his heart,quick kill as well
    handloaded nosler partitions/300 weatherby mag
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

I wouldnt hesitate to take that shot with a solid rest. And if ive called him into the open at 200 yards. Chances are he is still coming. It would be the last cow call he ever hears! Excited for moose season

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    The second half is not good advice at all.
    No, it certainly is not good advise. I have found a few remarks on this subject a little concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Nope, wouldn't take the shot personally.

I love the comments about offhand shooting lol
    Some real cowboys in here, I'd lay money 90% of guys couldn't hit paper offhand at 100 yards with any kind of consistency.
    Well as with most things those who can do(and practice so they can) those that can't make smart comments about things/people because they ASS-U-me they are experts on every subject when they really aren't. I love comments like that.
    Last edited by Cedar Cowgirl; 05-22-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Yep...........

Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well? 2 years ago this shot was presented to me at about 30 yards and I didn't take it as all I could think of was where the bullet would end up and the possible ensuing mess. After about a 1 minute stand off(he knew I was there and was looking right at me) he turned to walk away and I dropped him. 35 whelen and 225 gr. partition.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Cowgirl View Post
    Well as with most things those who can do(and practice so they can) those that can't make smart comments about things/people because they AS-U-me they are experts on every subject when they really don't. I love comments like that.
    Is this supposed to be a smart comment?
    The grammar is so atrocious it's hard to decipher.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Just curious of the guys that have taken this shot,did the guts not get hammered as well? 2 years ago this shot was presented to me at about 30 yards and I didn't take it as all I could think of was where the bullet would end up and the possible ensuing mess. After about a 1 minute stand off(he knew I was there and was looking right at me) he turned to walk away and I dropped him. 35 whelen and 225 gr. partition.
    You made the right choice, a front on shot is a poor one and yes the guts get hammered if you're using decent bullets.
    I've seen the remnants of a hind quarter with a gut juice soaked bullet lodged in the center of it, mmmm good steaks there, bet it gets real nice after it's aged.
    That's why I'll wait for them to turn every time, no need to wreck a bunch of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
    A 257 A1 right between the looker's and he froze with his eyeballs outside his head for a minute before he fell over, don't need no mag to get the job done. A few yrs ago in Lone Bute.
    That my friend is the worst shot you can take.
    I know of an instance when the moose went down, the shooter laid his rifle to rest and started toward the downed moose. Suddenly it got up with a ploughed furrow between the eyes, and rage on the brain. The shooter morphed into a sheet of paper and turned sideways and his hunting partner, still with rifle in hand shot past the "paper sheet" (which was now brown) nailing the moose in the brisket rendering him dead. And this was all in less than 20 yards.
    Head shot are only a last resort and even then I would pass. Can't think of anything worse than a nice bull moose highassing to the next valley with it's jaw blown away. Unless you're thinking you're helping a grizzly get a easy meal.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Is this supposed to be a smart comment?
    The grammar is so atrocious it's hard to decipher.
    An expert in the English language as well, I should have known. So as not to offend your far to sensitive eye for grammar I have corrected the mistakes that autocorrect made, I trust you will sleep better now.
    Last edited by Cedar Cowgirl; 05-22-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."