Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Hybrid View

The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

So you've called in a bull moose and he comes out of the trees and stands at the edge of the cut facing you at 200 yards.

He's huge with a massive spread of antlers.

You have a 30-06/308/270/280/300 mag/7mm Rem mag class rifle. Can you kill him with a frontal shot right in the middle of the breast or do you hope to wait for a better side-on presentation?

You know from experience that if he is turning to show you his side, the next next thing you will see (and in a big hurry) is his back end.
    Last edited by MichelD; 05-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Shoooooooot

Then re load quick and drop him

If his head is up, or you are at a lower elevation, aim for the neck below his chin.....

not wise to try that as a free standing shot though....

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    If his head is up, or you are at a lower elevation, aim for the neck below his chin.....

not wise to try that as a free standing shot though....
    Back in the day before all the trendy shooting sticks etc most shots were "off handed". Trouble is now people go to the range and shoot off the bench all the time. you need to spend time practicing real world shots standing kneeling etc. There are never any bench rests around when I find game but maybe I'm just unlucky in that regard.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Back in the day before all the trendy shooting sticks etc most shots were "off handed". Trouble is now people go to the range and shoot off the bench all the time. you need to spend time practicing real world shots standing kneeling etc. There are never any bench rests around when I find game but maybe I'm just unlucky in that regard.
    You and me both. All my practice is standing, still a tough shot at 200. If I can kneel things settle down a lot. I would take a head on shot @200, partly because I’ve moved up to 338 and 375 from 30-06 2 yrs ago. 200 with a decent bullet and any kind of support to steady the shot isn’t bad. I would aim high center chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I have seen some of the "old timers" pull of some amazing shots off handed anyone who doesn't believe that is either totally closed minded or hasn't bee around many competent shooters. Know your rifle know your abilities and practice and take the shot.

He will die, take the shot
    The width of his chest is likely bigger than where you are comfortable putting a broad side shot on a small black tail.
    Ive heard many refer to a 10" pie plate as a reasonable target for a broadside heart/lung shot, that pie plate would look small on his chest, big animal, by your description, 1200 lbs
    Shoot!
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

A 257 A1 right between the looker's and he froze with his eyeballs outside his head for a minute before he fell over, don't need no mag to get the job done. A few yrs ago in Lone Bute.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
    A 257 A1 right between the looker's and he froze with his eyeballs outside his head for a minute before he fell over, don't need no mag to get the job done. A few yrs ago in Lone Bute.
    Was that the one they hung on the high line at the log building site?
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire