Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

So you've called in a bull moose and he comes out of the trees and stands at the edge of the cut facing you at 200 yards.

He's huge with a massive spread of antlers.

You have a 30-06/308/270/280/300 mag/7mm Rem mag class rifle. Can you kill him with a frontal shot right in the middle of the breast or do you hope to wait for a better side-on presentation?

You know from experience that if he is turning to show you his side, the next next thing you will see (and in a big hurry) is his back end.
    Last edited by MichelD; 05-13-2018 at 08:49 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: The bull moose of a lifetime, but he's face on to you

Shoooooooot

Then re load quick and drop him

He will die, take the shot
    The width of his chest is likely bigger than where you are comfortable putting a broad side shot on a small black tail.
    Ive heard many refer to a 10" pie plate as a reasonable target for a broadside heart/lung shot, that pie plate would look small on his chest, big animal, by your description, 1200 lbs
    Shoot!
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

A 257 A1 right between the looker's and he froze with his eyeballs outside his head for a minute before he fell over, don't need no mag to get the job done. A few yrs ago in Lone Bute.

If his head is up, or you are at a lower elevation, aim for the neck below his chin.....

not wise to try that as a free standing shot though....

Hmmm some rules I never break...
    Never head shoot any animal.
    I wouldnt personaly shoot a moose at 200 yards in the upper neck/throat..
    I have shot a moose frontal in the chest at 100 yards with 7mm..follow up shot behind front shoulder as moose turned..
    Not best practice but did work the one time I used it..lmostly can get the traditional shot.
    In all honesty. .65 inch bull in frontal situation.lhmmmm ya BOOOOOOOM..
    Steven

the only difference that's important to me is side to side placement on a frontal vs broadside. a wiggle a little forward or back on a side shot still gets 2 lungs, on a frontal a little wiggle on catches one possibly, if I have a steady position I shoot frontal everytime. like a few said base of neck on frontal works also, its all about your confidence level
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Boooooooooom don't be a puuu$$$$$$y lol jk.......

On a fly in trip out of Dease Lake 20 yrs ago I took this shot. Difference being I'm a meat guy and it was an ordinary bull. My 270 with 150gr partitions I hit that moose mid sternum and had a second quick follow up shot same as first. That bull dropped and heaved about making a lot of noise for a couple minutes. Dressing the animal both shots were close taking out the lungs and exiting close to his anus. I got real lucky and normally would not take this shot. The hind quarters could have been messed up. Since I have passed a few times on frontal shots. That said I took a nice blacktail on Vancouver island between the eyes and parted his brain from less than 100 yds. I was doing a lot of shooting then and was extremely confident. That I say is the key. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Like the British SAS shoot lots