Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judging your comfort Level

Judging your comfort Level

Hi guys, just looking for some tips.
    I got myself a compound bow a while ago and I was wondering how to tell, or if there's a good indication you are ready to move from a static to a dynamic target.
    I'd hate to wound an animal taking the shot when I'm not ready.
    I'm decent at a target but looking for some veteran advice or ideas/comments.

Thanks in advance for the advice

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Judging your comfort Level

Like so many other sports and activities where its not team related but one on one being mentally ready is as important as your shot being capable to hit the target. Buck fever is real and when your within 40 yds or 10 yds of a live animal its very critical to be mentally ready as well as have had lots of practise hitting a target from kneeling, standing, bent over sideways etc. Have you worn your hunting clothing while shooting? heavy jacket? jacket and sweater etc and any scenario you might hunt in? My advice from experience is to ensure success the first time you release that arrow at an animal, make sure your well within your effective shooting range. There are so many things that play a part in success. Be confident in your target shooting and then be ready mentally to control yourself and be confident through your target shooting your going to make the kill, remember to pick a spot just don't throw the arrow the animals way.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Attending many 3D shoots was the best experience for me when I started shooting a compound bow. Shooting life size animals at real hunting distances and scenarios gave me the confidence to go out and bag my first deer, double lunger at 25 yards, kneeling. 3D season is well on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Like so many other sports and activities where its not team related but one on one being mentally ready is as important as your shot being capable to hit the target. Buck fever is real and when your within 40 yds or 10 yds of a live animal its very critical to be mentally ready as well as have had lots of practise hitting a target from kneeling, standing, bent over sideways etc. Have you worn your hunting clothing while shooting? heavy jacket? jacket and sweater etc and any scenario you might hunt in? My advice from experience is to ensure success the first time you release that arrow at an animal, make sure your well within your effective shooting range. There are so many things that play a part in success. Be confident in your target shooting and then be ready mentally to control yourself and be confident through your target shooting your going to make the kill, remember to pick a spot just don't throw the arrow the animals way.

All of this is good advice ^^

I would add whatever you think your max comfort zone is for an animal nock at least 10yards off of that. Practice shooting random distances as animals are rarely at perfect 5 or 10yard intervals.

grouse hunting with a bow is great practice as well

Best advice is focus on creating situations that will give you up close easy shots. It’s all about getting close and there are good bow hunters that rarely shoot past 20-30 yards

Thanks for the replies everyone, definitely giving me something to think about and practice. Seems like I have a long way to go getting confident in awkward positions as well as just being sure of my arrow placement.
    I think I'm going to sit this season out of actually trying to harvest a big game animal with the bow.
    I might just go out for hare/grouse for some practice in the fall while I'm out hunting - Any arrow tip recommendations? the Judo points with some cheaper arrow shafts?
    Glad I'm a member at POCO range so I can utilize their 3D shoot and archery course

If you can find a gopher patch it will help a lot. We used to shoot for hours and even managed to get some.

What do you guys think of practicing situations with an elevated heart rate? Seems to me the best way to mimic a hunting scenario.
    IG: @jaridwarren

Quote Originally Posted by jaridwarren View Post
    What do you guys think of practicing situations with an elevated heart rate? Seems to me the best way to mimic a hunting scenario.
    Might be good for some but the other approach is to learn to calm yourself instead

Myself I am calm as could be in the moment but once I know my shot connected it’s another story lol

Quote Originally Posted by jaridwarren View Post
    Not a bad idea. Go for a short sprint then pick up your bow and shoot a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Might be good for some but the other approach is to learn to calm yourself instead

Myself I am calm as could be in the moment but once I know my shot connected it’s another story lol
    Do you have any words of wisdom on learning to "calm yourself"?
    IG: @jaridwarren