Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOOBSTER - seeking advice near Invermere

NOOBSTER - seeking advice near Invermere

Hello! Just like my username implies (noobster)....I’m totally new to hunting!! Fished my whole life, and that’s comes second nature, but I just never committed to taking the hunting and gun safety courses, and didn’t come from a family nor had friends who hunted. But a couple months ago I got my hunting license and my PAL application is being processed (or mailed in anyway!!). I’m so pumped! I check the PAL processing website EVERY DAY!!

Anyway....I don’t like to be a bother, but I’ve been researching online steady for a couple months, downloaded apps, set up waypoints all over the place and I can’t find a clear answer on where it is ok to hunt. I know basically Crown land, but I was wondering if someone could confirm something for me??

I’m interested in hunting birds (ducks, geese, grouse, maybe a wild turkey??).....maybe bigger game later. So......if I drive up Horsethief Creek FSR and Horsethief Creek Rd near Radium, can I basically hunt anywhere around there? Like just park off to the side and start walking around??

Please remember.....I’m totally new....but super excited!

Thanks for any help!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: NOOBSTER - seeking advice near Invermere

I don't know that area but I'm close in the Sparwood, Fernie area. i have only hunted for two years I inderstand the confusion. Make sure to pick up a hunting synopsis as it gives some more detail about all the hunting areas as well I use two apps called" Hunt Buddy" and "I Hunt BC". Hunt Buddy is free but I Hunt BC costs a small fee. they are both useful in figuring out boundrys. I hope this helps.

I use google earth with the MU overlays, and a GPS with MUs in the field. I looked on google earth where you asked about, and it looks like you are talking about a road that is west of radium and invermere? I would say to be careful of the MU change from the north ( being 4-34 and the south 4-26). Check the regs for any restrictions etc when planning your trip.
    Get the regs, look under MU4.. see if there are any little maps etc that may be in the area you are looking to hunt in and be mindful of your location near boundaries.
    Is there a local gun shop or what ever you can go ask locals?
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Tons of areas to hunt in there and the scenery is as beautiful as you can find in BC. Best advice is to find someone locally that hunts and is familiar to the area. Fish and Game clubs are a great starting point. You will find people with common passions and I guarantee someone will at least point you in the right direction. Be sure you know the town limits of Radium. You can travel north and basically hunt both side of the Columbia all the way to Donald. Westside road is a good starting point. All sorts of wildlife down there. Not what it used to be, but is there if you are willing to work. Going south there is more private land, but hunting is to be had as well. Another good place to start is to look up hiking trails and get up high in the alpine areas, just be cautious in the super busy areas like the bugaboos (too many people). Definitely able to hunt big game up high, not so many birds other than grouse and maybe ptarmigan up there, but its gods country. Good luck.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Horsethief Creek FSR is good to go. Basically all of the FSR's around there are game on. Just look in the hunting regs at motorized vehicle restrictions in region 4 to make sure you don't accidently drive in anywhere you shouldn't be and any no hunting areas will be listed in there as well. Just head up Horsethief and put on some miles.

Thanks very much for the info! I’ll definitely get those apps.

Thanks Hoochie! I did notice that boundary change....it’s pretty tight along the road for sure! I’m gonna start looking around for gun shops etc!

Thanks Seeker! I’ll check those areas out! I did find what I think is agreat tool in Front Counter BC...shows all the different types of land.....unfortunately won’t work on my iPhone though!

Thanks Travalanche! That’s what I was hoping! I was going to head out there sometime this weekend to just get my bearings and line up some maps etc. I have a kayak and saw a couple of potentially “kayakable” swamps up there. I’ve been watching a lot of you YouTube with kayak hunting....looks super fun! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Noobster View Post
    Thanks Travalanche! That’s what I was hoping! I was going to head out there sometime this weekend to just get my bearings and line up some maps etc. I have a kayak and saw a couple of potentially “kayakable” swamps up there. I’ve been watching a lot of you YouTube with kayak hunting....looks super fun! Thanks again!
    No prob, if you need any help with learning the regs or anything just PM me. I’m pretty familiar with the area. Lots of good hunting opportunities around radium.

cheers.