Thread: North Coast River Closures

North Coast River Closures

Some might find this interesting... will keep my comments to myself

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fn...=207412&ID=all

Fishery Notice

Category(s):

RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject:

FN0372-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - North Coast - Region 6 - Non-tidal Waters - Salmon Close Time and Chinook Quotas - Effective Immediately

Effective immediately recreational salmon fishing in the entire Skeena River Watershed is closed until further notice.

Effective immediately recreational chinook fishing in the entire Nass River Watershed is closed until further notice.

Effective immediately there is no retention of Chinook salmon in all rivers draining into Pacific Fishery Management Areas 1 to 6 until further notice.

Variation Orders #2018-rfq-272, 2018-rfq-273, 2018-rfq-274, 2018-rfc-275, 2018- rfc-276

Recreational harvesting opportunities for Skeena Coho and Pink salmon may occur at a later date and will be announced by Fishery Notice. Please refer to the on-line BC Sport Fishing Guide and future Fishery Notices, for details on confirmed opening dates, times and other restrictions.
    Last edited by Mulehahn; 05-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: North Coast River Closures

No mention of a commercial or sustenance closure as well? Seems to me that recreational users take way less fish, and insert way more dollars to local economies than sustenance and commercial fisheries do? Should be a total closure for all users if the returns are in dire situations? Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Commercial should be the first to close, but noo then all the rich people will bitch they can't eat salmon anymore.... Well that's coming either way morons !

Most store bought salmon is farmed anyways

Sorry lots of store bought is farmed.

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    No mention of a commercial or sustenance closure as well? Seems to me that recreational users take way less fish, and insert way more dollars to local economies than sustenance and commercial fisheries do? Should be a total closure for all users if the returns are in dire situations? Moosin
    They couldn't do that it would ruin the economy.

The expected return of sockeye salmon to the Skeena River system is anticipated to be in the neighbourhood of 500,000 fish this year, half of the more than one million that would trigger a commercial fishery.

I guess I lied and will comment after all. To the best of my knowledge their is no planned Commercial Openings on the Skeena this year so that is a mute point. But if stocks are so low that they require a COMPLETE sport fishing closure, not even a C and R fishery on certain species, or gear restrictions the river should be closed completely - FOR EVERYONE!

I fully understand, and support the FSC rights so this not an attack on anyone and i do sincerely hope this to will not devolve, but if the DFO has deemed that incidental by-catch and release of Skeena Springs while sport-fishing for Coho and Pinks will cause irreparable harm to Chinook stocks in the river how is it possible mass netting will not have a larger and more deleterious effects?

Colin Masson, North Coast area director for Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO), told me for a magazine article I wrote that for the second year in the row, First Nations along the river have agreed to forego fishing opportunities for sockeye on the river if numbers are below 600,000.

“The department has always used 400,000 by which First Nations Food Social Ceremonial fisheries would be closed,” Masson said. “Last year the First Nations said if it is coming in below 600,000 we are voluntarily not going to fish. This year the First Nations joint technical committee has recommended to DFO and the First Nations leadership to not fish.”

I applaud First Nations for taking that step, without their support all hope is truly lost. But this closure is not regarding concerns over Sockeye stocks but rather Chinook. There is no such recommendation regarding Springs along the Skeena.