Thread: Fishing the Flats

Fishing the Flats

Anyone ever made a trip down to the Bahamas or Belize and fished the saltwater flats? I've been wanting to plan a trip to do this for quite some time. If so please share some stories!! I'd love to chat about it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing the Flats

I have fished Bone fish on Andros Island Bahamas.

We stayed at Charlie Smith's, Charlie's Haven. Charlie Smith was the innovator of the bone fish fly known as the Crazy Charlie, he didn't call it the Crazy Charlie, he called it the Nasty Charlie, The fella from Kaufman Streamborn called and sold it as the crazy charlie. Charlie said ya I was crazy, crazy to ever taking Kaufman fishing, lol. Fishing bone fish on the flats was the closest thing to hunting while fishing I'v ever done, we called it fish hunting because it was spot and stalk. Lot a fun.

Yes.. the Bahamas are awesome for bonefishing, made 7 trips to 4 islands.. it is like hunting for sure. There is a ton of vacations rentals by owners available there, we go and walk the flats for weeks.. i must say having the right fly (as in any fishery) is super important there i found... as well as casting in the wind lots, you get one shot at a school of Bones you been stocking for hours its pretty cool, a lot fun and miles of not seeing a sole.
    A bad day in the bush beats just about anything...

Awesome thanks ACB! I'll look into Charlie Smith. And Scance, what island was your favourite as far as the fishing went? We are leaning towards Andros but maybe you can help us out with your past travels.

We are wanting to go somewhere with good-awesome flats fishing. I am hoping to take a guide one day on the water, and another day go explore and try my luck myself. The wife will be with me and she is hoping to be able to go somewhere that offers some nightlife (not clubs and DJ kind of deal) but where we can maybe do some dancing and be social. Along with this of course, R&R, diving, etc.. I have been trying to read lots but am having a tough time making a decision.

ACB how'd you find Andros for what I described?

Cheers!

I have fished Andros and the bone fishing was crazy good there how ever we needed a guide to access the great spots, there is no night life on this Island to speak of.. I would say the Island of Exuma has the best Local night life type atmosphere and there is a few good flats there to fish but fish are really spooky there you need like a 20 foot leader there and super stealthy. My personal favourite island is Eleuthera as there is so many flats there to access without a guide and it has a bit of night life there in the different towns. PM me when you decide and I will share any tips I learned over the years of going there. Cheers.
    A bad day in the bush beats just about anything...