Thread: May the 4th Bear down on me ^^

Re: May the 4th Bear down on me ^^

Nice bear!

Great looking bear!!

Very nice bear congrats!

Holy crap. I was going to read this thread tomorrow (busy trimming and vacuuming packing) but couldn't resist. Awesome pics and great bear. I am waiting until tomorrow to read my favorite part (the story!) ... congrats !!!

Congrats on a dandy bear!
    Live to Hunt...

What a pig! You guy certainly earned that one. Thanks for the great write up.
    KCCO

Beauty bear, great write up as well, definitely lucked out on that deactivated road. Should make for tasty eats and a 5 star rug!

Nicely done

Can tell May is here a few bears are hitting the ground now

Thank you everyone !

Does anyone have experience freezing a pelt this size prior to taking it to the taxidermist ? The taxidermist I spoke to recommended clearing off what fat I could, then folding it up( no salt) and putting it in my deep freezer on max to freeze it solid until I can get it to him.

Now I've had a couple people message me worried that I've ruined the pelt saying I should have salted it prior to freezing, but my taxidermist said not to salt as the salt will prevent a large hide like this from completely freezing leading to spoilage but numerous people feel as if I made a big mistake skipping the salt...

Either way this bear was to feed my family so it's a success but if obviously like to preserve this beautiful hide and memory of the hunt if I can !

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Thank you everyone !

Does anyone have experience freezing a pelt this size prior to taking it to the taxidermist ? The taxidermist I spoke to recommended clearing off what fat I could, then folding it up( no salt) and putting it in my deep freezer on max to freeze it solid until I can get it to him.

Now I've had a couple people message me worried that I've ruined the pelt saying I should have salted it prior to freezing, but my taxidermist said not to salt as the salt will prevent a large hide like this from completely freezing leading to spoilage but numerous people feel as if I made a big mistake skipping the salt...

Either way this bear was to feed my family so it's a success but if obviously like to preserve this beautiful hide and memory of the hunt if I can !
    Beauty bear! Got me motivated to get out there! I was always under the impression that it was either or, not both. There are a number of threads on here that discuss this topic.
    congrats
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat