Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bear down: Got one, but not "the one"

Re: Bear down: Got one, but not "the one"

My decision to dial it down for the rest of the season and next spring is mostly just the need to slow down and relax a little more... work and commute 12 hours a day (run off average 5 hours sleep all week) Friday get home, drive a couple hours, sleep in the jeep for a couple nights, pounding my bear pockets all day, temp changes from freezing to 30C in a few hours, picking up ticks. Even when I'm not hunting, my mind is constantly thinking about hunting... plotting/planning/analyzing/etc. My dreams are no different. I hunt in my sleep too lol ... somehow I managed to turn something pure and wholesome into obsessive "work". This kind of mindset should be for blacktails... not bears. I often start too early and burn myself out. This season I started in two feet of snow. It seems innocent "probably too early, but lets just go camping with a rifle and maybe we will fluke out" ... next thing I know I find a little grass and some tracks and now it's a mission and I'm already burning the candle from both ends... it's silly. Heck even now my neck and shoulder is all messed up... not sure if it's related but I tweaked something.

There's a happy medium here.I just have to get back to that. No need to burn myself out mentally and physically. I think that problem bear really got under my skin just like the ticks. It's hard to describe. If it was just a simple charge, mistaken identity or whatever fine... but to wake up a week later with his face up against mine... I really don't have the words. It's just so creepy. I think of him like a cross between a giant spider and a cougar because that is how he acts, how he moves and that's what made me go all blacktail-hunter on him. He's probably hitting the carcass from our bear right now. I think there's some irony to that. Wish I left a trailcam there. I meant to bring one but forgot. And in hindsight I realized I had a trailcam I left over the winter not too far away. I could have just relocated that. Anyway... here I go all thinking too much again. It's what I do.

Definitely remorse for anything less-than-instant (and sometimes even instant) ... I left this part out but will finish the story I guess... I left it at "we found him" ... well as mentioned we didn't wait long before going after him in the timber. I don't recommend chasing down bears in the timber but in this case it was the right call. Reason is the amount of initial blood and we pound this timber probably 50-60 days out of the year. And reviewing the camera footage of the intial shot, we knew the odds were better running him down. We caught up to him fast. He was sitting there up a hill under a rock ledge. Somewhat dazed he looked over at me. It was then I recognized him. This is not the first time we have stared at each other from a few yards away. It happened last year as well but I passed on him then. Well, then he looked down at caddisgirl, glanced back at over me then down at caddisgirl again while she looked back at him... he's totally calm, obviously dazed/faint. I put him down... 3 yard shot. Being right up against the cliff, the shot blew my right ear out pretty good.

So remorse yes big time. No "regret" though and that doesn't deter me. I had already made the decision to dial things back. Lots of talk about taking next year off or maybe just doing a casual trip or two at the most.

I want to go fishing. I will still take my brother up for a bear trip. Maybe we see the trouble bear, or maybe he will get his first animal. I might go for a little stroll with my bow. Maybe I'll take a poke at something if I feel like it or maybe I'll just film stuff. Next year I'll probably go out a few times to help other people get their bears. Aside from fishing me and caddisgirl are going to be making videos of random stuff. We're going to do another underwater crayfishing video... making a bow drill fire from raw materials, foraging, some gear reviews and stuff like that (she made a whole list lol) ... Also have a lot of video editing to do. The footage we have this year is insane. Should be helpful to up and coming hunters and a good watch for others.

I'll be going hard in the fall. I found out where my blacktails go after bow season. Fall GOS is going to be wicked.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Congratulations Caddis! Always look forward to your stories. I really hope you go back out and get that ahole bear...

LOL Caddissguy I hunt or plan hunt a lot two for a businessman and family man..

Nothing wrong with having a compulsive nature if you can focus it your normally really successful.

I remember when I was 15 someone asked a older friend of mine why I always caught the most salmon..

He said well look at him he is lucky and knows what he`s doing... but that's not why he catches the most.

its because he will not stop untell he gets... I will bet your a machine at work too.

come on kill the bear

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    LOL Caddissguy I hunt or plan hunt a lot two for a businessman and family man..

Nothing wrong with having a compulsive nature if you can focus it your normally really successful.

I remember when I was 15 someone asked a older friend of mine why I always caught the most salmon..

He said well look at him he is lucky and knows what he`s doing... but that's not why he catches the most.

its because he will not stop untell he gets... I will bet your a machine at work too.

come on kill the bear
    You guys might know me better than I know me. I'm already obsessing and it's only been a couple days.

Ordering the tag now. Stay tuned for part 2. Still taking a fishing break this weekend but this isn't over.

I'm not shooting any other bear. Doesn't matter if its some 7 ft belly dragging cranker, I won't even be tempted. Maybe my brother will but I'll be saving this tag.

Will report back in a couple weeks. Wish me luck because I'll need a little.

ya ya get him..

let me know if ypu want to borrow the brush buster bear breaking 458 with 400 grainers i will be on the coast friday...that bear has to die..

Right on and even more congrats to ya Caddis!

I sincerely do hope you get Bear #2. Lots'O'Luck Sir.

Good story Caddis. I must have missed the story on the other bear but I can glean enough to understand why you'd be keen to go back out there this spring.

Always like your stories.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Good story Caddis. I must have missed the story on the other bear but I can glean enough to understand why you'd be keen to go back out there this spring.

Always like your stories.
    He charged me in August while I was looking for an arrow. He tried to get at me while I was sleeping a week later. Face right up against mine through a thin layer of plastic.

He walked through my camp was I was getting changed in Spring 2017 too.

Seems he enjoys the carcasses I leave him in the spring and sizes us up the rest of the year.

I think he knows what we are all about. Very strategic. I'm starting to figure him out. I know one place he likes to hold up in the early evening between a knob and some old growth and the end of a drainage. I busted him the weekend prior watching us from up the little knob. I threw a quick hopeful chunk of lead (wouldn't do this on any other animal) but no dice. It overlooks where the drainage terminates this time of year and his poops are always all over the place down there. Best approach seems to be to head up the mossy knob through the timber that overlooks the drainage termination (yes this is also a message to a couple other guys on here. I'd be just as happy seeing him whacked via proxy) He's a wind player, 100% ... it's a tough game ... he moves funny, darts and bounces around really fast and seems to have a 6th sense for the second you are not paying attention.

This is him August 2017. Huge balls as you can see but this bear ain't right.

Last edited by caddisguy; 05-09-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Glad to hear you're back on the trail! Going to take a poke around myself this weekend, if the bears aren't around at least I can burn some logs and hit the old mental refresh button

Yea IMO he's worth dedicating a season to, I would... Deer hunting isn't half as exciting or rewarding! Forget horns, claws and teeth are where it's at, and delicious table fare...