Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear down

Spring bear down

Went out for the second time this year to look for bears. First time hiked 4h in Hyas lake road area - no sign anywhere. Discouraging. So waited two weeks and tried a different area. This spot in 3-26 I hunted the crap out of last year to no avail. Being close to the city its pressured, and I did a lot of blundering around spooking game. But i got very very familiar with all the spurs and nooks and crannies.
    Got to the area around 5:30ish. Game plan was to put on preparation H and drive until I saw sign, then hike that area. Luckily didn't take long to spot an older scat (pic #1). Parked, and strolled the rest of the spur to the end, and spotted black fresh poops.
    Drove back down the main a bit and saw near tracks at the side of the road, so again parked. The road winds down in an extended S curve thru several cuts for about 1.5km, and there's a drainage / marsh at the bottom. I strolled along, glossing every 20 steps or so. Wind was in my face, and it was a beautiful evening around 20 degrees.
    I caught movement at the back of the grassy drainage at the bottom and brought up the glasses...bear! Watched for a minute looking for Cubs, none there. The bear was about 450m away, 50m below and ambling along lunching grass. My heart was hammering as I marched down the road to where I could try an approach for a shot. I dropped my pack and crept into the cut block trying to close up enough for a shot. Around 250m I figured this was as close as I could get and looked for a good rest for the bipod. I was on a steep downhill wasn't happy taking a long shot without something rock solid. Finally I planted in a hammock of earth and went to line up. I was still vibrating and couldn't settle, and then the bear went into some high grass to feed and was barely visible S%it.
    From having hiked all over the area I knew the was a trail to the back of the marsh that would take my right to where the bear was. I'd have to break contact and hope he didn't cruise off. I hurried down the road and took the trail to box around. The wind was flat, and the spring runoff made the trail into a stream, and the running water covered my steps. I put in earplugs, slipped the safety off and crept along the back side of the box to where I had seen him. The walk had burned off the adrenaline and I felt calm and steady now. I was thinking he had left when I saw him head down mowing about 30 yards away, oblivious. Dropped to one knee, put the sights on him and lined up a perfect quartering to shot. Trigger squeeze and shot cracked and bear dropped I cycled the bolt and waited. I saw his head rise slightly and them he slumped over. I waited another 5 minutes and threw a stick at him..that's a dead bear.

Walked up and took a couple pics and sent them to my wife to let her know I'd be coming home late.

Bear dropped at 7:03pm, was lucky enough to be able to drive right to it by 7:30, loaded and headed home by 9:15. Gonna be a grinder fest next week!
    Last edited by bacon_overlord; 05-03-2018 at 10:57 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring bear down

Congrats! But as my buddies when I was 39, without proof your still a virgin! I’m sure u got your bear, and I’m sure I’m not a virgin, but only one of these things should invoke a photo or two! Show us your bear naked!

Looks like a Reg 3 bear just went down. Congrats~!

Quote Originally Posted by Treed View Post
    Congrats! But as my buddies when I was 39, without proof your still a virgin! I’m sure u got your bear, and I’m sure I’m not a virgin, but only one of these things should invoke a photo or two! Show us your bear naked!
    I was figuring out the pic posting shenanigans in editing. There ya go

Tell me more about the preparation H part... Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Tell me more about the preparation H part... Well done!
    Always recommended when sitting for extended periods...such as road hunting. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_overlord View Post
    Always recommended when sitting for extended periods...such as road hunting. Lol
    Roid Hunting! LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Nice work!! Good story!!

Good work!

Congradulations..well done.
    Srupp